Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Was Just Wondering......  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Was Just Wondering......
« on: May 10, 2005, 01:06:22 PM »
How many of you that are hypermobile have passed this on to their children?

And if your children have problems.  I have 2 children, a son and a daughter, my daughter has inherited this condition and can do extreme things with her fingers and toes, as yet she hasn't experienced any problems and hopefully it will stay that way.  Was curious to see how many of you have inherited or passed on this condition.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline gymchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Was Just Wondering......
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »
hey Natalie
I myself have always been hypermobile (never a diagnosis just always known things shouldn't bend that far!!!) bendy elbows, knees that go back too far and hurt alot, floppy wrist etc.  My knees used to dislocate very easily, ended up in a plaster cast for 6 weeks when i was 21.   actually find that I am having more problems now in my (relatively young) old age, especially with my fingers and thumbs. When my oldest daughter was six, she was seen by a ortho surgeon because of knee pain and he said she's incredibly flexible, score for all things on the beighton scale. He said she shouldnt have any probs until teen years. Well shes only 11 and has been having probs with knees and ankles all the way along.  My younger daughter has all of the flexibility but with no problems, shes the lucky one (at the moment).
Gymchick

Offline csgrad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:51:31 AM »
Hi

I am not sure about 'just' HMS (and I do not mean that in a condencending way at all, just that it is not a defect in collagen causing other internal problems) but in Connective Tissue Disorders such as EDS and Marfan's there are definitly inheritance paterns.  I myself am EDS Type III (Hypermobile Type) and this could have been passed on by my paternal side.  However, other incidences of Type III are also from a Tenasin-X deficiancy.  If you seem to be 'passing it on', maybe a proper work up from a rheumy or a geneticist (assuming this has not been done of course, ignore this if it has) could help you both.

S.

Offline mccreamark

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:15:46 AM »
Hi,
 I have EDS and my daughter(14) seems perfectly  normal ,maybe slightly hypermobile.
she sometimes suffers from growing  pains in her shins but I am not sure if this is related.
She has no skin elasticity. tearing  or bruising problems which have plagued my life .She scars perfectly while my cuts and tears could double in size before they were treated.
My parents where under suspicion for child abuse by the neighbours  when I was an infant.

Regards
Mark 
May 2005 right knee PTR surgery
Feb 2006 wire broke 
April 2006 90% recovered
May2006 then left knee PTR
Oct 2006 ROM 35%
Dec 06 tendon ruptured during sugery to increase ROM
Dec 2006  MUA tendon tore back in cast
Feb 2007 ROM 70 degrees
Dec2007 much improved ROM 100 degrees still on crutches

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:00:25 PM »
I am hypermobile but in my case it is relatively benign.. in that I have the aches and pains, but tight muscles and weight control keep me from the dislocations, etc.  I have 3 children - 2 have some hypermobility with 1 having had to have surgery to assist with the dislocating patella.  The other is benign like me and my son appears to be symptom free.
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline RaeCHild

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »
I was diagnosed as Hypermobile following my second child (premature Week 31 - ruptured placenta which was breaking down since week 21)  Interestingly I had always assumed that my ability to 'elephant walk' with feet and hands flat on the ground, splits in both directions, octave and 2 on the piano & index finger backover to touch wrist and thumb down to wrist plus standing on points at ballet without the shoes by dislocating toes in forward direction, was just a refection of being 'me'.  However, more joints have become lax, I now have arthritis throughout spine, hips and hands and I have had a prolapse uterus repair done which has now given up and diverticular pounches with rectal prolapse. 

My younger sister has the same problems with pre-babies x 2 and the other symptoms, plus occasional varicose breakdown with no trauma.  My son (18) has subluxed his right shoulder 3 times already and has groin pain and knee pains. 

My father's mother was 'crippled' by arthritis at 51 years old and is deceased so we do not know if EDS was the cause. My father's sisters were dancer's and are now have arthritis.

All this being said, I can keep myself well if I 'pace' my life with periods of standing, sitting, working and resting over the course of a day.  I am retraining to be a teacher and firmly feel that with good support from a pain management team and the medics in general you can acheive anything you want to, just make sure you tell them at the start. 

I hope that this helps.
Rae
 :)

trainwreck

Re: was Just Wondering......
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 03:47:22 AM »
I am hyper-mobile.  Neither of my children have any symptoms.  My parents, sister, and none of my grandparents have any symptoms.  I always thought that was strange  because I thought it wasi hereditary.  Good Question.

Offline pinkpipsan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 03:54:36 PM »
Hi,

I am hypermobile but I am the youngest of five children and the only one who is. As far as I am aware my parents and grand parents did not have this and so far none of my niece's and nephews are showing any signs.

Thanks

Pip