Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: More tibial plateau fracture rehab advice please  (Read 918 times)

Offline Ski bunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • plenty of hopping but no skis just yet!
More tibial plateau fracture rehab advice please
« on: May 08, 2005, 05:12:40 PM »
Hi - please can you help with rehab advice?

I have a depressed tibial plateau fracture sustained while skiing nearly 7 weeks ago (luckily not as serious as other kneegeeks on this board - sorry guys!)

Please can anyone give me advice on rehab, as I have been given very conflicting information so far.  I was initially diagnosed as ?cruciate/meniscal tear in the emergency room in Canada. I started RICE and some ROM exercises for week one and partial weight bearing week two, on the advice of a physio. Knee still v swollen and painful, so week three I saw an orthopaedic surgeon in the UK, who ordered an MRI which showed the fracture. His advice was 5 weeks non weight-bearing on crutches, as surgery would not give added benefit.

I am now two weeks into hopping around with crutches, but no brace, plaster-of-paris or fixator. I have minimal pain, but some stiffness and good range of motion (full extension, nearly full flexion). I am struggling to get rehab advice until I see the surgeon again in 3 weeks.

What if any excercises should I be doing until I can start partial / full weight bearing? What excercises should I avoid? Can I do ROM exercise on a static bike? I'm going stir crazy and watching my quads and hamstring muscles waste before me!

I am an otherwise fit 41 yr old, normal weight female.

Thanks! :)
29/3 ?meniscal /acl ski injury Canada - RICE and PWB 3 weeks
22/4 TPF diagnosed by MRI in UK - NWB 5wks

Offline tinkershells

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: More tibial plateau fracture rehab advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:15:56 PM »
my phys therapy consists of leg lifts all four way....lay down, prop up on your elbows and lift your entire leg using you quad muscle....you can put a weight belt on your quad...then get on your broken side...put your good leg across your broken one and lift that way...then lie on your non affected side and lift that way....then get on your stomach and lift using your glutes....then stay on your stomach and bend you knee and using your hamstring pull your heel to your butt..
tinkershells
11-25-2005 Tibial Plateau Fracture, LAteral Meniscus tear
11-28-2005 Surgery

Offline jillg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: More tibial plateau fracture rehab advice please
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 09:20:36 AM »
hiya. i fractured my tibial platuea on new years eve, non weight bearing for 6 weeks, operation to get 3 screws and bolts inserted on january 6th. fully weight bearing now with out crutches. leg raises will probably be ya best bet, laying on ya back and doing it that way and just keep bending it u relieve the stiffness. It does take awhile to get rid of believe me. Just stick at physiotherapy though, it does get on ya nerves after a few weeks but it really helps, i been to physio for about 6 weeks now and im getting sick of all the exercises but just stick at it - Jill