Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please help me with knee problem  (Read 1761 times)

UK2004

Please help me with knee problem
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:51:52 PM »
I damaged my knee a while  and am going in for an operation on Thursday, the consultant said it's an arthroscopy, basically Ihave torn meniscus and a cyst in my knee as well. How do I knwo if he is repairing the torn cartilage or removing it, because he didn't say?

My MRI report says as follows:

'In the left knee there is  horizontal cleavage tear of the lateral meniscus with a small para meniscal cyst as described'

Can anyone explain how bad this is and what recovery pain will be like, also is it just gonna be removed the cartilage, I want to box professionally and need to get back to the gym soon I don't want this ruining my boxing!

Thanks all.

shadehawk

Re: Please help me with knee problem
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 02:57:42 PM »
Hi,

Sorry that I can not answer your questions, but sometimes you can not get all the answers you want from an MRI. 

Good luck with your upcoming surgery on Thursday.

Let us know how everything goes.

Shade

UK2004

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 03:16:03 PM »
DO you mena the doc won't know until he operates whether he can repair or remove?

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:37:17 PM »
Hi,

The OS probably won't know whether he can repair the meniscus until he gets in the knee and has a look.  The meniscus has very poor blood flow which is critical to healing.  If the tear is on the outer part of the meniscus where there is more blood flow he will probably repair it.  If it is in an area with less blood flow he will probably just trim the torn part.  Recovery from a repair is longer and requires being non-weight bearing.  If he just removes the torn piece recovery is pretty quick and easy.  Repair is much better in the long run.

Good luck.
Patty

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 03:45:24 PM »
i was told in my MRI scan that i have a horizontal tear in my cartilage but it depends exactly where it is....the cartilage in your knee is given names....white, red white and red......if it is in the white section it'll have to be trimmed back but the red/white and red is all dependant on how deep/big the tear is...as sometimes it can self-heal depending on blood flow

my tear is in the red/white section going through to the white section, which may require me having an arthroscopy in 6 wks time.
Nikki Michel

Age 20
Jan 2005 - dislocated right patella

UK2004

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 04:05:43 PM »
I presume they remove or repair at same time as they have a look? They said I will go in at 6:30am on Thursday and be out after lunchtime. If the cartilage is removed will I still be abel to box he said I shoud be back to boxing no problem.

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 04:11:33 PM »
it depends on the tear if the cartilage is normal on the top and underneath that means the tear is internal which might require having that small section shaved away, i was told i would be in over night with mind and there is a 2 week recovery process
Nikki Michel

Age 20

UK2004

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 04:19:05 PM »
He tol dme normamlly its two weeks but can't box for 7 weeks because too much strain and pain, gotta have physio to build me back up to runnig skipping etc before I get back in the gym. Ahh well will pray that I don't lose use of my knee for good hehe!

UK2004

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 04:24:07 PM »
Can someone tell me clearcut, if he removes it which I suppose he plans as he told me 7 weeks recovery will I get back to full fitness? I run 5 miles a day four days a week and am in my boxing gym 3 days a week as well as skipping 20 minutes 7 days a week, will I never get bck to this if I have the cartilage removed?

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 04:29:06 PM »
they wont remove all the cartilage as it acts as a shock absorber - as you know doing your boxing - if they were to remove it all you'll more than likely develope Arthritis in yrs to come and obviously this is something your DR will want to avoid!
Nikki Michel

Age 20

UK2004

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 04:34:19 PM »
In the more detailed section of the MRI report it says 'however, there is some early subchondral sclerosis in the lateral femoral condyle indicating biomechanical loads in the lateral department' is this bad bad or does it all heal once they sort this cartilage out?

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 04:37:25 PM »
When the meniscus tear is in an area you can't repair, the only option is to remove the torn piece.  If you don't, it can tear more and cause arthritis of the joint.  The downside to meniscus removal is that you lose some of the shock absorption and have more of a chance of getting arthritis.  So it's kind of a Catch-22.  

I've had my meniscus trimmed 3 times (twice medial, once lateral).  I have to admit that I didn't bounce back as quickly as I thought I would after those surgeries.  The knee will hurt for a while afterward.  I did manage to get back to full fitness after those surgeries, but it took awhile.  I ran and played tennis and Tae Kwon Do.  I ended up having to give up those activities because of articular cartilage tears which led to bad arthritis (I have a lot more wrong with my knee overall, but the medial meniscus being 50% gone doesn't help).

The most important thing post-op for keeping your knee strong and stable and preventing early arthritis is to really concentrate on strengthening your quad.  Once that is good and strong, you should be able to do your old activities.  

The biggest thing is not to be in a hurry.  You need to work with your OS and PT and make sure you're really ready to resume your activities.  In the short term it's a pain and you'll be impatient.  Don't be.  I didn't listen early on and didn't do all the stuff I was supposed to, and I think it's part of the reason my knee is so screwed up now.

All isn't lost.  You have a good shot of resuming your prior activities.  Just make sure you listen to your OS and rehab fully before you get back to all the full impact stuff.

The subchondral sclerosis thing implies some early arthritis.  Don't be too worried as x-ray findings don't always equate with symptoms.  Just be aware that running is bad for knees in the long term.

Good luck,
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

UK2004

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 06:11:42 PM »
Many thaks for that. was helpful, I see what you mean with their being less shock absorption, I don't mind problems late ron in life just want the next 8 years to be ok to box, it's what I want from life, would be devastated if it got cut off early!

Can I ask will that early arthitis stuff go once the knee is fixed?

support