Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Dislocated Patella  (Read 5444 times)

Offline jessie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dislocated Patella
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:05:14 PM »
About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with tearing my meniscus.  When I went back to the OS the following week he claimed I had dislocated my patella.  I still cant walk (a month later), am on crutches and my knee is still swollen.  Just curious what happens next?  Is surgery necessary?  How long is recovery?  Will I ever get my range of motion back?  I don’t see the OS until the end of this week so any questions I should ask please share.  I want to be prepared for him.  I feel like I am getting the run around.  Thanks.

Jessie

Offline Jennifer82

• Regular Poster
  • "It's My Life!"
Re: Dislocated Patella
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 10:22:14 PM »
I certainly know how it feels to get the run around! Does he have you in a brace?? When my patella first started dislocating the first thing my OS done was put me in a J sleeve brace and put me in PT but after a month and no results he did a Lateral Release which did not work and I finally had a TTT. Surgery should always be considered after all conservative treatment has been exhausted! If you walk into an OS's office and the first thing they do is schedule surgery (which I have been to) that should throw up a big red flag! However if you have been in PT, in a brace and you are still dislocating surgery then becomes an option.

Talk with your OS about all of the measures you can take and see what he says. If you don't feel that you are ready to commit to surgery yet then express that to him and see what alternative routes you can go! I learned the hard way you have to talk to your OS and tell him exactly what YOU want! Its your knee, body and life and in the end you are the one who has to live with the pain and everyday aspect of it. Thats one thing I have learned; your OS only sees you and your knee maybe 20 minutes (if we are lucky) in the office and doesn't see the everyday pain and struggle we go through so in the end we are the only one who is gonna fight for our pain relief and options!

Hope this helped ya at least a little bit!!
Good Luck!!

Jennie
Car Accident-2001
MCL, PCL, ACL recon r. knee- 6/01
3 Lateral Releases- 2001, 2002
Fulkerson TTT- 11/2002
Patella Reconstruction- 11/03
Scope/ligament revision-6/04
TKR 5/17/05
Screw removal 8/2005
Ocober 2006-Injured TKR DX: Torn MCL

Offline jessie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 10:39:29 PM »
Thanks Jennie.  I was in a brace for the first week but then he told me to stop using it.  Told me he didnt want me to rely on it.  Its not that my knee keeps dislocating, I cant put pressure on it because it feels like the bones are rubbing together and as if my knee will dislocate again.  I have absolutely no strength to lift my leg (I am in PT) and nor can I get it to go straight.  Very frustrated at this point.  My OS is a very conservative doctor, a little too conservative.  Thanks for replying.  I appreciate it.

Jessie

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 02:48:15 PM »
Hi Jessie

i too dislocated my patella in january of this yr - i was put in plaster for 4 weeks and then in a cricket backed split for a futher 2 weeks and am now in a much smaller brace that has hinges which allows me to bend my knee... i have to admit it has been incredibly painful and a much longer healing time than i would have thought. im only 20 and live in london, england so i think our techniques are different to the americans....

i had a meeting with my consultant this morning - after having my 2nd MRi Scan they have discovered a tear in my cartilage which was not apparent in the 1st scan due to the amount of fluid build up however they arent very concerned about it at the moment - my options are to continue with my physio sessions and in 6 weeks time go back to have another scan to see how its getting on, there has also been mention of cortisone shots in my right knee to ease the pain and sort out the build up of scar tissue but if im still not moving well enough then i'll have to have key hole surgery to clean out my knee and cut back where the tear is.

i have limited movement in my knee - at first when the plaster was removed i could only bend it 30 degrees!!! which was very scary - i thought it was just going to be as simple as taking the plaster cast off and it being stiff for a while - 5 months later and im still in recovery!!! i can now bend my knee over 90 degrees which is slow progress but progress never-the-less, i have another physio appointment this evening but im very eager to get back to 100% health!

i hope my story has helped - its nice to know you're not on your own - i thought that when i was reading you comments

nikki  xx
Nikki Michel

Age 20
Jan 2005 - dislocated right patella

Offline jessie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 02:55:22 PM »
Thanks Nikki for responding.  When I dislocated it it went back in within seconds.  I was reading up on the internet that when you dislocate your patella it may not align properly and thats what you would need surgery for.  I have problems straightening my knee, putting pressure on it, and lifting it straight up.  At the same time I also tore my medial meniscus.  My knee is still swollen and this happened a month ago.  My OS drained my knee last week and I see him again today.  I play on three softball teams so this really puts a damper on my Spring/Summer.  When you dislocated your patella did it snap back in?  I have never done anything like this before.  I am still on crutches which is also very aggravating.  Thanks again for responding.

Jessie

Offline Jennifer82

• Regular Poster
  • "It's My Life!"
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 03:17:07 PM »
Hey Jessie
I am so sorry you are so frustrated! I know!! Mine only "stayed" dislocated one time when I was doing my PT and my therapist actually had to manipulate it back into the groove! Talk about being sick :-X!!

Yeah sometimes those "conservative" OS's can be a pain in the rear! Its like you are suffering and you want something done now and they are trying everything under the sun to make you wait it out!

Let us know how your visit goes..hopefully you will get some relief and the answers you deserve!

Good Luck and keep your head up! I am an avid water skier so I know how it feels to have your summer shot! :P
Car Accident-2001
MCL, PCL, ACL recon r. knee- 6/01
3 Lateral Releases- 2001, 2002
Fulkerson TTT- 11/2002
Patella Reconstruction- 11/03
Scope/ligament revision-6/04
TKR 5/17/05
Screw removal 8/2005
Ocober 2006-Injured TKR DX: Torn MCL

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 03:19:03 PM »
oh my god you're my twin!!!!!! thats exactly the same as mine....i also had a lot of fluid on my knee cap but they didnt want to drain it - they just put it in a plaster cast and said it would dispurst on its own.

when it originally dislocated i popped it back in - within seconds and whilst it was painful when i put it back in i really didnt realise how serious that type of dislocation is! when i got my xray back the doctors had told me that i had knocked it back in correctly which was good news....however im still struggling with normal day to day things.

i cannot lock my knee straight, i always seem to have a 5 degree bend and its incredibly painful when i try and make it go straight, however i can lift my knee up straight without any pain but i cant bend it past a 95 degree bend which is soooo frustrating, my physio put me on an exercise bike the other week and it couldnt even do 1 rotation of the pedals it hurt so much - normally when i go to the gym im on the bikes for 45 mins!!!!

im not on crutches anymore as i was told not to rely on them too much and although i have been given a smaller brace to wear on my knee i dont actually wear it as i want to try and build up all the muscle that i lost while i was in plaster, this is a 1st for me as well and it seems like no one else understands what im going through, everyone always says to me "bend your knee properly" - like im putting it on!!!!!
Nikki Michel

Age 20

Offline jessie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 03:28:20 PM »
Thanks Nikki and Jen!  I have to agree Nikki, this is the most painful thing I have ever gone through.  Its been a month.  I thought I was making progress but unless you basically stop your life and do absolutely nothing but lay there and elevate your leg then the healing process will take longer.  Last night I was in such discomfort I had to sleep with my brace on (my OS told me not to wear it anymore after the first week).  Nikki, dont feel bad people at my job think that I may be faking it.  Unbelieveable.  And they know how much I love softball.  I cant bend my leg straight either.  It's already filled up with fluid again.  Just praying he doesnt say he wants to drain it again.  Trust me I would rather be put in plaster than have it drained.  That does not feel good.  Plus I hate needles!  :o)  I am so glad I came across this sight.  All you guys are so helpful.  Does anyone know the approximate recovery time?  Thanks again guys for replying. 

Jessie   

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 03:39:57 PM »
me too jessie - i was surfing the net regarding cortisone shots and i found this!!

i was told it takes about a year for you to become fully fit and with no grief from your knee what so ever, but im worried about the implications this has had on my hip and back, i dont stand normally anymore because i am accomodating the weight to other areas so my knee doesnt feel the strain but my hip and back are also starting to ache now because of it.

but definitely keep doing your exercises, i've been told to do mine every 2 hours!!!!  ::) x
Nikki Michel

Age 20

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 03:41:08 PM »
Hey Jessie :)
When i dislocated my patella it was the most excrutiating pain i have ever EVER been through. My doctor said the pain is apparently worse than a compound fracture of the femur! I wouldn't stress about the time frame. When i did mine i was on crutches and in an immobilising brace for about month. It was about 2-3 months before my leg started to feel like normal again. My knee was the size of a football for a long time and moving in whatever way hurt like hell!! I have since had two arthroscopies on the same knee for torn cartilage which i believe started as a result of the dislocation...who can be sure though.
I hope you start to feel better with everything, if you have any questions and i can help in some way fire away :) :)
Goodluck, Pip :) :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline jessie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 03:49:29 PM »
Nikki, The only problem with me doing exercises on my own is my schedule.  I go to school 7-750 am then work from 9-5:30pm and then back to school from 7-9:30pm.  I bearly have time to sleep.  School is almost over which is good.  Should I be working?  I have worked way to hard to get where I am today and would hate to jeaopordize my job in any way. 

Did they do any type of surgery for your dislocation?  or just your meniscus (cartilage)?

This website has answered a ton of questions for me.  I love it!

Offline jessie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »
Pip, thanks for responding.  I would have to agree with you about the most excruciating pain.  I figured I would be fine in 2 to 3 weeks after I did it.  Never did I imagine I would still be on crutches.  Very aggravating.  Because my knee is still swollen there not sure if I tore anything else.  I pray to god not!  I am a very independent person and when something like this happens it takes that away, to an extent.   So did you have surgery on your dislocated patella?  just your catilage?  Never had surgery before either.  So thats another thing I am nervous about.

Jessie

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 03:56:07 PM »
oh my god thats a lot of hours!!!!!!! jessie i was signed off work from the day i done it!!!!! all in all i was signed off from the 26th jan to april 30th....when i eventually had to quit my job as a Mortgage Advisor - my role required me to be in the office at all times and having almost 5 months off work pretty much jeopardized my career and i handed in my notice but i had to think about my self......and get myself 100% better - work came 2nd....especially because i used to work up in London which required me getting a bus and 2 trains to the office!

but since i quit ive been able to focus on my knee and my exercises and i have since been offered another job - part time at first until im 100% but full time thereafter! x
Nikki Michel

Age 20

Offline nikki michel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 03:58:31 PM »
sorry in response to your other question, i havent had any surgery yet....ive torn my cartilage but they want to carry on with physio for another 6 wks and then take it from there, i tore 96% of my ligaments on the inside of my knee which is where all the pain still is now to this day and the tear in the cartilage has just made it worse....i'll be having cortisone shots from now on and maybe surgery in the near future to trim the tear back x
Nikki Michel

Age 20

Offline jessie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 04:04:16 PM »
Nikki, I know its a lot.  I dont know what the right decision would be.  Well, I know it would be better for me to take time off but like I said I value my job, I graduate May 20th from College and would like to move forward from there.  I only took the first two days off after I did it and couldnt sit home anymore no matter how much pain I was in.  It's a tough decision for me.  I am very career oriented.  Softball is obviously over for me for the season if not longer, so work is next.  But your right.  I really need to think about myself and getting better.  The OS wanted to give me a note to come out of work when he first saw me but I refused.  So now what, if I decide I think it would be best to come out do I ask him for it?  

Jessie

support