Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Could really do with some advice etc etc  (Read 1040 times)

Offline kate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Could really do with some advice etc etc
« on: May 02, 2005, 04:51:40 AM »
Hi, I have used this message board many moons ago and after my 7th sleepless night in a row thought that maybe paying you guys a visit.
Bit of Background history -
I have had 17 !!!! surgeries to my r knee due to a downhill mountain bike accident, have ACl, PCL, PLC, medial & lateral collateral lig recons along with meniscus sorted so many times that really all i know now  is that is screwed   & totally filled with OA - great at 27 !!
At the moment severe pain is preventing any resemblance of normal life for me, like i said this is my 7th sleepless night & I am about ready to get the axe out of the shed & hack it off!!!!!!
I have  an appointment with a new Ortho who comes highly recommeded by my current one who us a star.

What I would like to know is have any of you had any experience woth Mr Dowd in London?  Just got loads riding on this 1st appt as I sooooo badly need something done as I am stugglong now just to walk around the
Is it worth returning to my GP to work out more effective pain relief - currently on MST (fentanyl patches made my skin blister!!) also have been prescribed Zopiclone to help me sleep but as its 4.45 am i Don't think they are working.  Also taking arcoxia, gabapentin & Dihydrocodeine. 

IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO HAS ANY IDEAS ON WHAT ELSE i CAN TRY F HAS HAD EXPERINECE OF SIMILAR PROBLEMS THEN PLEASE PLEASE REPLY - I PROMISE WHATEC=VER YOU SAY WILL BE MOST WELCOME

thANKS 

KATE

Any suggestion
kate

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Could really do with some advice etc etc
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 07:12:50 AM »
Kate, have you ever been to a painmanagement clinic ? There you find docs in every cathegory you might need like neurosurgeon, neurologhist, orthosurgeon,rehab doc, phys a.s.o. Cause if you are in so much pain you need to take care of the pain before doing anymore surgery.Wish I had the magic hands to help you getting ride of the pain. I live myself with severe pain 24/7 so I know what you are going through.
Hope this can give you something at least. Talk with your usually doc about it.
If you wonder anything or just want to talk feel free IM me.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 03:46:51 AM »
Nettan

Thank you so much for your reply,  sometimes it just feels better to be able to say what you are going through to people that aren't family.  I find they just get frustrated as there is nothing they can do to stop my knee from hurting so bad. 

I did see a pain management consultant who said there is nerve damage to my r leg following all of the surgery and gave me the gabapentin.  that seems to work for the burning & other really weird feelings but she said there us not much more she can do until the mechanics of the knee are sorted a bit more.

Thak you so much again for your support hope thigs aren't too bad for you at the moment, how do you manage severe pain?  it would be great to have an insight into how other people deal with pain.

Yet another sleepness night - its 3:40am !!!!!

Gonna have a look at some other posts now

Kate  :D
kate

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 04:46:56 AM »
Kate, sometimes it is the combination that works best for severe pain, too bad the fentanyl patches did not work, as they don't upset the stomach. Maybe a combination of an anti inflammatory and MS contin, with MSIR or percocet for breakthrough, or if percocet works well try oxycontin 2 times a day, and percocet for breakthrough pain. SOMetimes adding Elavil at night is also helpful,after you adjust to the sedation effects of it. GOOD LUCK< TEresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending