Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: two questions!!  (Read 1673 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
two questions!!
« on: May 01, 2005, 07:50:22 PM »
I was just walking today and I thought of two questions Ive been meaning to ask to you guys lately! So here we go:

1.After sitting for a bit with my leg bent I get this weird feeling and have to straighten it to make it crack and then it feels better. The crack sometimes hurts and sometimes doesn't but when it does hurt it is usually really loud at the same time. Then about 3 minutes later, I'll get that feeling again and do it again. I was wondering if anyone knew what caused this and is it bad to do? Ive found lately I have to do it more and more frequently and they egt louder.

2. Sometimes my (left) knee feels like it burns on the inside of the knee along the joint line and almost in a line from the edge of my quad to the point where my kneecap ends. It kinda feels like when you get rubbing alcohol in a cut. Ive never really felt this before, but  it has only happened since I have been going to PT. Any ideas what this is? Has anyone else had it?

Thanks!
Kritsa
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

doodlebugrr

Re: two questions!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 08:02:56 PM »
Hey Krista!

The whole straightening & cracking thing is from your chondromalacia. I also do that with  my knees.......but I have not been told by OSs that it is bad to do  ???

Burning can be from something trying to heal or it can be from RA ((Rhuematoid Arthritis)). My knees also do that. Does it get red where it burns??

*~take care~*

~bekah~

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 08:13:33 PM »
Bekah! Thanks SO much for your reply. I havent really noticed to tell you the truth if it gets red or not, but next time I feel it I will check. What is RA? And do you remeber why your OS said the cracking thing is bad? I'll try and stop f its bad but its gonna be so hard! lol
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

doodlebugrr

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 08:34:18 PM »
Hey Krista!

**Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints. Rheumatoid arthritis can also cause inflammation of the tissue around the joints, as well as other organs in the body. Autoimmune diseases are illnesses which occur when the body tissues are mistakenly attacked by its own immune system. The immune system is a complex organization of cells and antibodies designed normally to "seek and destroy" invaders of the body, particularly infections. Patients with these diseases have antibodies in their blood which target their own body tissues, where they can be associated with inflammation. Because it can affect multiple other organs of the body, rheumatoid arthritis is referred to as a systemic illness and is sometimes called rheumatoid disease.

**Here is a link that tells you about RA  http://www.medicinenet.com/rheumatoid_arthritis/article.htm

**Oh sorry, I think I worded that wrong ::)  I meant that I have not been told by any OSs that constantly "crunching" you knees is bad  ;) 

take care
let me know if there is anything else I can help ya with ;)
~bekah~

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 08:38:46 PM »
Hey Bekah! Thanks alot, that really helped. Dont worry about wording it wrong :P Do you know what grade of chondo you have?
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

doodlebugrr

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 08:48:37 PM »
Hey!

Glad I could help ;)  :)
Ummm, that is a good question, lol, I have never been told what grade I have ??? I havent even thought about asking either, I'll have to do that next time I see him ;)

~bekah~

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 10:27:07 PM »
Krista,

I kinda get that "burning" on the lateral side of my kneecaps too....I always associated it with grinding because my kneecap was off track and tilted. I have also been told that that is where the pain is from....just simply cartilage rubbing on cartilage because my kneecaps are aligned wrong.

Also....as for the straightening and cracking......mine sorta do that too. It is like directly under the kneecap, but no doctor has every said that there was anything terribly wrong because of it. I just assume that it because the cartilage on the back of my kneecap is damaged from the dislocations.

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline irishboxer77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 10:35:55 PM »
I have the same feeling I need to pop my knee or the pain is just to much sometimes.  I can put my hand on my knee and feel rubbing inside with my hand .  2 days until I see the OS thank god, I'll let you know what he thinks.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 08:18:18 AM »
Hey There :) I also get that feeling where i need to crack my knee and like you Krista sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn't. I always thought it was just like cracking your knuckles (which i do frequently) and last time my physio was telling me how cracking joints isn't bad for you at all! My knee crunches when i straighten it and my Physio said i probably have chondromalacia, especially as i have dislocated my knees. However, he said that chondromalacia is a term that is often given to people who have crunchy knees and that alot of people live with it easily. He also said that alot of young people are told by their OS's they have Chondromalacia as a pass off. Mind you, i am not going to this physiotherapist anymore so i don't know how much is correct!? I have never been told a grade or anything for mine and i don't think it's very bad. My knees do hurt when i go up and down stairs though which pretty common apparently.

Also about the burning pain, i had a similar problem in my hip, it burns more when i walk up hills and when i have been exercising or bike riding for a couple of mins. My hip doesn't look red to touch but an x-ray i had of my pelvis for my op i had on the other hip shows that there is some inflammation of the bone, apparently this is what is causing the burning sensation...?
I tend to think it's all a bit much sometimes, i mean it doesn't matter if something has got a name or not, if it's a pain and it's annoying you it's there regardless of what it's called.
Hope my raving on helps somehow Krista :)
Pip :) :) 
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 10:45:31 PM »
lol yes, your raqving did help pip! thanks for all the replies!
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)