Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: need some help  (Read 970 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
need some help
« on: May 01, 2005, 03:18:39 PM »
Hey guys, this is a bit of a little vent with some questions in it. Well so far, I have gone to PT for 2 weeks. After the very first session I coudn't walk the next day at all so the next time I went back, I told mt PT and she decided to lighten up alot, the day after that it was much better. But I did barely ANYTHINg at PT. I did leg raises and ice and the muscle stim...thats it because it was all i could tolerate. The first day she had me doing squats with the muscle stim. on but then it left me on crutches the next day. But I think Im just feeling hopeless right now because yesterday my knee gave out again, while I was shopping and I can sort of feel it getting caught on the outter part of my kneecap towards the left side (left knee). After shopping yesterday it was INSANELY swollen, I actually had to change into my friends skirt because ,my pants were too tight on my knee. Going up stairs isn't always bad, sometimes it barely hurts at all but yesterday it kept on feeling like something was pinching in there and it hurt alot. Luckily, it hasnt locked again but I just feel like PT isn't working. I do wear my brace everyday and hopefully thats helping alot though. So i got back to the sports doctor in 3 weeks now, too see how PT was coming along. He said he may send me for another MRI if it doesn't help. What would be an appropriate way of asking for a scope without directly asking for it? Having surgery is THE last thing I want to do but its all for soccer. My team is in the semi-finals for provincials and if they win they ahve SUCH good chances of making team Canada and it almost seems like I just dissapeared off the team. Kinda buggs me too cause everyone tells me how nice and kind Christina(new coach) is, and I really wish I was playing because I had THE worst coahc imaginable last year, I had to put up with so much bullshit. I won't get into details but trust me, you would be suprised how horrid he was, so bad infact the league removed him from coaching ever again. That's also why we have a new coach.

Here's the thing that really set me off though, last week at PT, she told me she was chatting with my sports injury doctor and he was wondering if my OS had seen the MRI. I said yes, we were told to have them sent to him so he could take a peek at them himself and she said "oh ok, because (sports injru doctor) was wondering if he had missed something big." I didn't ask what because I was still kind of accepting what i had just heard. From October-mid April they all said torn ACL, but then the MRI said dislocated kneecap with chondro. So im just wondering if he thinks my ACL is gone or my meniscus. Argh! Its so frustertaing, right when I thought that I knew what was wrong with my knee for sure.

I really hope we take some action when i got back to the doctor in 3 weeks though. Physio leaves me in tears most nights and sometimes the next day at school I need the elevator key, or sometimes I dont even go to school at all because it hurts so much. I just had an MRI 2 months ago, so would it make alot of sense to get another one only 3 months later? Any idea about how to get the point accross to the doc. that I really can't go on like this? I dont want to seemr ude or anything but I really have a hard time just walking. Thanks for listening whoever got this far lol. Just needed to get that off my chest.
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

shadehawk

Re: need some help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 03:59:01 PM »
Krista,

Do know how disappointed you are that PT is hurting you so much - hey, that is no fun.  You just have to hang in there and talk to your family and make sure that whoever is going to the next doc appointment with you is on the same page as you are.  You should not have to worry about bringing up a scope - it is a very natural progression to investigate what is wrong.  Heck you would not be having all these problems if something wasn't wrong.

It is curious what your PT & sports injury doctor said - you should ask your OS to put the mri up on screen and go over it with you - there should be no problem with that.  I have had similar problems to you trying to get an OS look at my MRI - most here (in Canada) only read the radiologist report & never look at MRI.  I object to this as the radiologist has no knee history when he looks at the mri so he only has one piece of the puzzle - I think all os should look at the MRI and broaded the findings of the radiologist report.

Hopefully you will get answers soon to your questions - PT exercises should not cause you to be on crutches again.  Glad they are taking it easier with you of late.

Don't get discouraged.  Get a copy of your MRI disk and take it to your sports injury doctor and have him/her check out your MRI - could not hurt.  You should have no problem getting copy of the disk - it is your right.

Shade

« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 06:09:06 PM by Shade »

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 04:06:51 PM »
Shade, thanks for your reply :D
I am very sure to always tell my parents when someting happens or how its feeling or whatever to they know exactly whats going on.

I am very curious about what my PT said too. I can't stop thinking about it! I keep trying to figure out what they mean by that, like do they think its my ACL again? I don't think my OS has the MRI anymore, he porbably sent them back to the hospital. But he told us that he himself did read them, and he also looked over the radiologist's report and agreed with what they had written which was dislocated kneecap/patello-femoral/chondromalacia.

Thanks for the reply though. Sometimes it just so frusterating because now I feel like I am back at square one where noone even knows whats wrong with it again. I guess only time will tell. thanks again Shade,
krista

*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 08:01:04 PM »
Hey Krista,

I can understand where you are coming from.

PT shouldn't be hurting that much.....so it's good that the therapist is taking it easy. Even if it doesn't seem like you are doing much, just leg lifts and stim can help strengthen the quads. I knew last fall when I was put back in PT that it wasn't going to do anything, so I just went along with it, did all the exercise, strengthened my quads, (which pt did improve, but it didn't touch my malalignment) etc....

Also, I wouldn't rely solely on the mri report....my OS that I saw recently said that he only used it to calculate angles and such to determine alignment and stuff....when we asked him other questions about it, he said that you can't really determine much from them. Never-the less, getting a copy of the MRI and letting your sports med OS take a look couldn't hurt!

As for asking about a scope.....just let your doctor know that you are more than ready and willing to do whatever it takes to get you back to soccer. Tell him exactly how you feel about PT and and that if there is anything you can do, that you are willing.

I hope you can get everything worked out!!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 08:18:26 PM »
Erin, thanks. Thats a good way of putting it. "I'm really anxious to get back to soccer and willing to do whatever I can." Im going along with the PT thing as you did too. I did 8 months of it in the summer until i hurt my knee again and have started it up once again. As for last summer, like you, it really helped with the quads but made NO difference in terms of my kneecap being mal-aligned.  Thanks again!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)