Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery Tomorrow ...type of anesthesia  (Read 1501 times)

Offline meindubai

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery Tomorrow ...type of anesthesia
« on: May 01, 2005, 09:13:12 AM »

Hi everyone...

I am going for my ACL surgery tomorrow moring...I hav an option of local and/or general aneshesia...

any advice or tips...what works well???????

cheers

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: Surgery Tomorrow ...type of anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 02:13:47 PM »
hey,
sorry I havent even had surgery yet so i can't help you much with that. But good luck with your recon! Let us know how everything went!
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 02:14:25 PM »
hey...it's really a personal choice based on several factors...some people prefer the local which allows you to remain "awake" during the surgery...you won't feel a thing but will have your eyes open and will able to watch the surgery on the screen if you choose..........some prefer this as it avoids the hassle of going under and the fogginess of the  recovery room and the overall effects of the general anesthesia........

however..others simply would rather be asleep during the surgery and simply wake up when it's over....

good luck

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 02:34:29 PM »
Hi,

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.  I have had several  surgeries, none on my knees yet and have always had general anesthesia.  Everything is told to you step by step along the way right up until you fall asleep.

The only problem I have encountered were with the pain meds they give you after you wake up - here they always give morphine & that makes alot of people sick.  I have found demorol relieves pain better for me and does not upset the tummy.

Let us know how everything goes.

Shade

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 04:47:02 PM »
I have both loacal and general several times.  With local I have never been awake(if the surgery last long you might wake up but will probably not remember) with general you are out cold, but very fuzzy the next day or so.  On my last surgery I had a local and the docs said i woke up in quite a bit of pain during surgery so they gave me a general, but i have no memory of it at all.  I would say go with the local, if something happens they can always give you a general during surgery.  Good luck!!  ~Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 08:49:19 PM »
I always choose to have a general, as I really do NOT want to deal with hearing everything that goes on during the surgery. There is also the possibilty that if you have a spinal, that they will go ahead and give you enough meds to make you sleep through it all,you just won't be entubated. With the spinal, it will take longer for you to feel pain , most likely. IT is just a matter of personal choice, and what the anesthiosologist feels is best in your case. Talk with him or her, and see what they recommend and if you have any underlying conditions that makes them lean one way or antoyher TEREsa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 08:58:39 PM »
I had general as with other surgeries non knee related. I was happy to be out for this last one as he told my Mom afterwards I bled a lot . That would have freaked me out! I was told to stop any aspirin or Vitamin E a week before surgery. It wasn't early enough .....I remember that operating room was really cold too as they brought me in . So I am glad they turned the lights out. Just had a mild sore throat from the tube for that and the  next day, Only fuzzy for an hour after the surgery and hopped on crutches into my home 2 hours after the surgery with my pain meds. No problems with nausea.

Best wishes for you! Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline beckyc

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 12:14:56 AM »
I had epidurals (similar to spinals) for both of my c-sections. After my first I had Radiating pain down the back of my leg, for about 5 years. Went into the hospital fine and came out with the pain. So know if I have a choice I go with general. One of the other side effects of a spinal can be a severe headache, but those headaches are pretty easy to fix.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 02:54:43 AM »
HI there
Im also having surgery tomorrow.  Apparently I'm having a general, and a spinal block.  They tell me the spinal is for pain control later (they'd rather stop the pain from starting then try to control it once it has started)... and Im wrapped about the whole idea of being asleep for the whole thing.... much prefer it that way...
Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 04:28:11 AM »
I've had both local and Spinal. Local was awful...since not only did I get sick on the pain meds. they gave me...they also didn't give me ENOUGH so I felt it when the doc hit some nerves. I remeber very clearly screaming.

I liked the spinal better. I didn't get sick and felt no pain. But the only downside is you really do hear everything but thankfully the nurse that bought me into the OR chatted with me I think to distract me from what was going on on the other end of the table.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 08:05:00 AM »
Hello :) You are probably in you're surgery by now, so goodluck :) I'm with some of the others, with all my surgeries i have had a general anaesthetic...and for my big one i was given an epiural catheter (like a spinal block) and a general together. The epidural was absolutely fantastic, i woke up feeling like nothing had really gone on, it stayed like that until they took the epiural out :-\! Goodluck with everything,
Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline spiritl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 02:41:21 PM »
Hi,
I had meniscus surgery last friday. I chose a spinal and they also gave me a mild sedation via IV. It was wonderful! I got to bring a cd of my favorite music to listen to. I could hear the drs talking while having my surgery, but couldn't or didn't care to listen to what they were saying. It is the way to go for me. I wasn't sick in recovery and felt great!
Hope this helps. Also GOOD LUCK!

support