Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Love my doc!!!  (Read 894 times)

Offline karenc823

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Love my doc!!!
« on: April 29, 2005, 06:56:33 PM »
Having OA next Wednesday with possible need for cartilage plugs.  All the sites I looked at for cartilage transfer said 4 - 8 weeks on crutches.  He said he will put me in a straight brace...no crutches.  Yeah!!  What freedom I will have compared to using crutches.  It pays to not freak out until you talk to the doc.  The internet can be sooooo wrong and misleading!

brattkids2

Re: Love my doc!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 07:03:29 PM »
hmmmmm strange.  Where are your defects?? This may be why no crutches? You would most certainly want to be on crutches if your defects were in a weight bearing area otherwise bearing weight on a new plug would destroy it.

Paulette

p.s. I have had two cartilage plug ops (OATS)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:23:09 PM »
Paulette is right. If the plugs are in a weight bearing spot, you may not be so happy with that OS when your operation fails. If ALL THE INTERNET  sites say 4-8 wks non weight bearing and your OS says none at all,,,,,,,,,,,,hmmmm I would wonder about my OS. A few weeks on crutches is much better than having to have 2 or more surgeries.

good luck , hope your OS is right , remember, if he is wrong,,, you, not him , will pay for the mistake.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 02:18:42 AM »
Hi,

I agree with the others.  I would double check with your OS regarding your post-op protocol.  It never hurts to double check.  You don't want to have a second operation because you didn't have the right post-op protocol the first time.  Good luck to you!!!  I wish you a speedy recovery!

Casey  :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline karenc823

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 12:45:39 PM »
I appreciate the concern, but this guy is fantastic.  Did my rotator cuff in 2002, and I feel like a champ.  He told me he does about 30 OA's a week.  He is a very well-known surgeon in St. Louis, and does many major athletes (his office is lined with autographed pics and jerseys with verbiage thanking him).  I talked to one local olympic medalist (running/long jump) and she said he has repaired so many body parts on her she lost track, and would never use anyone else.  If he tells me a straight brace, I completely trust him.  And ANYTHING to not be on crutches...I am horrible on them!!

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 02:45:05 PM »
Karen,

I wish you the best of luck.  I hope that your surgery is a success and that you have a painfree recovery!! 

Sending Hugs,
Casey
 :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

support