Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: shellfish in glucosamine???  (Read 637 times)

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
shellfish in glucosamine???
« on: April 29, 2005, 02:37:52 PM »
I bought some 1500mg glucosamine tablets today, but when I read posts on this site people seem to mention shellfish allergy as a reason not to take it.

I am mildly allergic to prawns but have never really tested the allergy as they're easy to avoid. How much would there be in a glucosamine tablet??
 It doesn't say anything about allergies on the box. The one I bought is called glucosomax by Health Perception (uk). It says pregnant women and diabetics should be careful, but not allergies to shell fish.

Anyone any ideas??
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: shellfish in glucosamine???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 03:02:47 PM »
Hey Sparkle :)
When i went to the Physio the other day he told me i should take glucosamine but not to if i was allergic to shellfish or anything like that because the bulk of glucosamine is apparently made up of the shells of these fish plus shark cartilage. Depending on how allergic you are to prawns i would start off taking small doses and upping it from there. That's all i can say to help sorry   ???. Shouldn't there be some ingredients list on the side of the container or something? Maybe you can look ingredients up on the internet to see if prawns are one of the shellfish used? :)
Goodluck with it,
Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

support