Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any Advice?  (Read 678 times)

Offline fiona95

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Any Advice?
« on: April 29, 2005, 01:01:51 PM »
Hello Folks,

I hope someone will be able to help me with the following.  I dislocated my knee cap 6 months ago now and i've been attending Physio since Jan i'm still having problems with swelling and pain with stairs etc and horrible grinding noise.  At first my physio thought I had a meniscus problem but now she is not so sure.  She thinks my knee cap may not be back into the correct position and that's what causing the noise.  She's put strapping on my knee to see if that helps but has anyone ever experienced the same problems?  And if so what's the prognosis?

Thanks

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any Advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 01:36:48 PM »
Hi Fiona and welcome to the Boards.

It is possible that your kneecap is not properly in the groove and is maltracking, causing this grinding noise, swelling and pain, you need to get your quads and surrounding muscles as strong as possible which will help with keeping the kneecap in place, however, this doesn't always correct the problem and if not you may need to return to your OS to have another look - I wouldn't leave it too long as if your kneecap is maltracking you're doing damage to your articular cartilage which can lead to arthritis.  If in any doubt I would suggest seeing the OS again and having him check things over.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements