Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: good news and bad news  (Read 1551 times)

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
good news and bad news
« on: April 29, 2005, 12:44:21 PM »
I just saw my OS this morning. He's going to do a scope to clear out the knee (won't bend 6 weeks after injury) and get the loose floaty thing out and have a go at bending it while I'm under anasthetic. I am scared about this but he says he'll have had a good look first and will be able to determine what it is that's preventing the knee from bending.

This does mean my recon will not be for at least another 8 weeks from now, all being well. It's a pain because I was hoping to be back fully fit by September when the teachihg year starts again.

Has anyone has a scope like this??
Is it okay for him to bend it under anasthetic or is that what's called a MUA that I hear so many horror stories about.

Please reassure me if you can
xx

(PS The good news bit was that he didn't just send me away for more PT. And he was PLEASED I'd done some research and he was really sympathetic and respectful, which I didn't feel he was last time)
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: good news and bad news
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 02:23:51 PM »
MUA is manipulation under anst. and that is partly what you are describing. The good thing is that he will scope it first to determine the problem. I have never had an MUA so I cant comment on that but just the sound of it makes me nervous. Hope someone with experience can help you.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 02:35:25 PM »
Hey, Sparkle...
 Well it is good news that your OS sounds really great. ;D Always good to have someone like that in you corner.  I too hope somoene whos had an MUA will resond to this post.
I did want to say though, that it's great that your OS is going to take a look around first, and sometimes it's easier to examine the knee with the patient out, because you can't guard (conciously or subconciously) the knee, so he can really get a good look at what's going on.

GOODLUCK

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »
Hi Sparkle,
   I have had several manipulations, I just skip the anesthesia part.  It is not that bad.  Since he is going in with the scope he should be able to release a lot of the scar tissue first and them gently bend the knee to further break it up.  A lot of people don't like this procedure, but I have never had any problems with it other than it hurts like the dickens!!   :)  Let me know if you have any questions! 

Good Luck!
Patty

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 08:28:04 PM »
Sorry Sparkle I cannot reassure you about the MUA.  I had one (along with a partial lysis of adhesion).  For me the MUA can only be described as a barbaric procedure and I will never consent to one again.  The MUA was done on me 8 months after original injury and 7 months after my ACL reconstruction so the scar tissue had enough time to harden.  There is hope that your scar tissue is still relatively pliable and therefore an MUA will not be as traumatic as it was for me.  Enter MUA on the search engine of this bulletin board and you will find lots of info from people (both pro and con) that have had MUA's. 

It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion before you undergo the MUA.

Good luck,
Pam
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 09:36:54 PM »
Sparkle-
Well im glad to hear that you finally got a scope and can hopefully get things sorted out! Good luck!!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 02:02:51 AM »
I, too had the MUA , after lysis of adhesions through the scope. I believe that is the only way I have seen them scheduled in the multiple hospitals where I have worked. The ones done under IV sedation, or without sedation, I HOPE< are more like an osteopathic manipulation, and done easily and not forcefully. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 08:13:24 AM »
Thanks for all your comments. i do have more questions though.

When I said to my OS 'is this called a manipulation under anaesthesia' he said that it was really more 'part of the proceedure of the scope' to clear out the knee then see if that allowed it to bend.

He did try to play it down and also said that 'to try to bend the knee without a scope' was very foolish, as all the facts were not known. This SOUNDED quite sensible and concurred with lots of posts on this site. One thing though, I did look up MUA and there was a post from someone who was really pleased with their progress after MUA. Some replies said not to be so confident as 'you're not out of the woods yet'. What was this comment referring to do you think?? How long after can problems surface? Would you know within a couple of weeks ,say?

My OS wants to keep me on overnight on a CPM after the scope. Anyone had this before??

XX

35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 04:16:59 PM »
It sounds like he is doing everything right. First, he isn't really doing a MUA. He's doing a clean-out through the scope, then will gently bend your knee to make sure it moves correctly and there is nothing else inhibiting the bend. This is exactly how it should be done. And being on a CPM is even more proof that he knows what he's doing. Then it's a matter of taking things slowly and gently in rehab to keep the swelling and irritation down, gently moving the knee a lot through your ROM to keep the flexion you gain from the surgery, keeping the quad firing (but not necessarily strengthening) while your knee is still sore....all this will help prevent scar tissue from reforming. Remember to elevate your knee above your heart and your ankle above your knee and to ice regularly to keep the knee happy! Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 09:22:28 PM »
I agree that is it nice for you to be able to stay overnight and utilize the CPM as where I have had mine, they can't wait for me to open my eyes, and suck down a swallow of water, and then they tell me to put on my clothes, and they push me out to the c ar to go home.  Hope you do well ,and this is a solution to your pain and problems. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline upset mom

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 04:10:34 AM »
Hi Sparkle,

I said a prayer for you when I read your post!  Hope and pray this procedure turns out to be a positive thing towards your full recovery and that you are up and about before too long.   

Lisa

support