Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar tendon tear - blood injection  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Sam43

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar tendon tear - blood injection
« on: April 28, 2005, 08:59:53 PM »
Has anyone had an ultrasound guided blood injection as a treatment for a small partial tear of the patellar tendon (jumper's knee)?  I've been trying to find out more about this but have had no luck.  I had this injection a week ago, and will need a further treatment in a month's time.  My knee is even more painful now, one week after the injection, than it was when I first injured it about five months ago.  Also, it's a long complicated story but I'm having this treatment privately, I don't have medical insurance and it costs 345 pounds per treatment.

shadehawk

Re: Patellar tendon tear - blood injection
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »
Sam,

Here is an article that I found that might pertain to what you are mentioning - it does not mention injecting blood though, but an injection is mentioned.  It certainly sounds interesting.  It can help with many parts of the body by the sounds of the article.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/12/021205083918.htm

Hope this helps.

Shade

Offline Sam43

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellar tendon tear - blood injection
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 06:08:13 PM »
Hello Shade,

Thanks very much for the article, 'jumper's knee' is what I have so it seems to fit my diagnosis...it's just the nature of the injection that seems odd.  The only thing I've been able to find is an article detailing a trial in which blood was injected into the patellar tendons of rabbits!

The article is interesting also for what it says about ultrasound being a more effective diagnostic tool than an MRI.  Why isn't more use made of these I wonder, especially since the MRI cost me almost four hundred pounds.

Thanks again.

Sam

support