Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 ACL Repairs 1 Cartelege on same knee  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Football1492

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 ACL Repairs 1 Cartelege on same knee
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:00:43 AM »
Hello All,
  I'm new to these boards.  I have had 2 acle repairs on the same knee and when i had my second ACl repair they repaired my Miniscus as well  I played football (american football) throughout highschool, and that is how i injured my knee.  Its been about 10 months since my second ACL repair and minisus repair... im looking to play again... I do have a very elaborate and expensive brace i can wear, im just wonder if it would be a good idea to try to play again, or perhaps i should workout my leg more untill it is stronger. 

I was also wondering if having had two ACL repairs makes my knee significantly weaker than only having had one surgery.  My first surgery used the Patella Tendon, and my second (and current one) was done using the hamstring.  Any advice about this would be helpful as well.  Thanks!

Any adivice would help
-James-

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: 2 ACL Repairs 1 Cartelege on same knee
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 03:12:42 PM »
Hey James,

Obviously, the more ACL's you have done the chances of weakness of graft are greater.  Before going back to sports make sure you have equal strenght in both your legs.  And equal range of motion: extension and flexion. 

The true way to test quad strenght is on a Cybex machine at a PT office that has one and performs these kind of tests.  You may need to call around to find one.

Good Luck

Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

support