Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee pain 6 weeks later  (Read 1117 times)

Offline skigrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee pain 6 weeks later
« on: April 25, 2005, 02:33:27 PM »
Hello:

6 weeks ago I had my LCL and meniscus repaired; MCL repaired and reattached and my PCL replaced.  This is my first knee surgery so I need some perspective.

I have been attending grueling PT sessions and have been working on bending and strengthening; without overdoing it on a daily basis.  I still have a great deal of pain inside and on the surface of my knee.  I am on Advil 24/7 and still have to take Vicodin at night and before PT.  I am always concerned about drugs and am not one to take many, so I worry about having to still take Vicodin at this stage.  My surgeon says that pain is all relative and offers no help in terms of what is normal.

Is having to still take Vicodin at night normal at this stage or should I tough it out?

Thanks, I am fortunately new to all of this :-)

Offline jklodico

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: knee pain 6 weeks later
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 05:26:18 AM »
hows the pain? hows the PT?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 06:30:27 AM »
Hey !!

If you get in more pain when doing pt and need do your pt to get back on track again you should definately use the meds you have. There's no way meds are bad for you if you need them to ease your pain. You will have diffculties in getting back proper if you can't get down pain when you need that.
Also remember to ice afterwards you have done pt. This helps also against pain.
Wish you the best !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 12:12:53 PM »
Skigrl,

Hi, welcome to the board.  Sorry about all the pain you are having.  I have to have my mcl repaired in a couple of weeks and the lcl has to be checked also. 

Your knee has undergone so much trauma from one side to the other no wonder you are still in pain and the rehab is brutal - my OS told me about this - sad that yours did not...It is much easier going into a surgery knowing about the probable tough rehab than finding all this out on your own.  Sorry you have such a hard time of all this....

Don't worry about the meds - if you hurt take them that is why they were invented in the first place.  It has taken me 17 months to find proper knee treatment and I have been on pain meds since then and you learn to get by......

Why don't you go to the Rehab Dept. - Post-op Diary section and start a Diary - explain your surgery and what you have gone through etc.  Having these diaries help many, many other people who will be going through similar surgeries.

Good luck to you & hope you start a diary and share your experiences with other's.

Shade[/color]