Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Where do I go from here?  (Read 2471 times)

Offline wb5983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Where do I go from here?
« on: January 22, 2005, 03:28:48 AM »
Saw O/S today,almost 8 weeks post-op. ROM is only 60 and with tremendous pain. Says I'm not working hard enough to rehab. What pain levels are to be expected? How long does rehab take on average? I am going to redouble my efforts until Monday but am considering a new Dr.  Any suggestions? I have to get back to work soon as I am self employed and have been out 8 weeks already.Thanks for any help you can offer
RPT 11/26/04
Surgery 11/27/04
PT started 12/27/04  2xweek

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 07:03:57 AM »
What is your injury? Has your doctor dicussed the possibility of scar tissue? 60 deg. isn't all that great for 8 weeks post op, I wouldn't be surprised if the joint is pretty scarred down at this rate, which would cause a tremendous amount of pain.

It does depend on the injury and surgery, however. Granted, in many cases 60 degrees is reason for concern.

If you do not feel comfortable with your doctor you should definitely look into seeing a new one! I kept with the same OS for far too long (even when I lost faith in his skills), I finally got a second opinion and found out HE was the cause of my pain and suffering. HE was the one who actually ruptured my tendon and NEVER diagnosed it! I couldn't believe it!

Anyways, it does sound like you should consider the idea of a second opinion. What are you doing at PT? If you do have a lot of scar tissue in that knee it's going to be extremely hard to really get anywhere. Do you have any form of pain management?

Sorry for all the questions!

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 07:06:17 AM »
Ahh, I just saw your signature. You suffered from a ruptured patellar tendon? Definitely check out this thread: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/cgi-bin/KNEEtalk/YaBB.pl?board=PF_joint;action=display;num=1087202082 , there are a ton of posters in there who have shared their stories and experiences with the injury, the surgery, and the rehab itself. I also suffered from a ruptured patellar tendon myself. If you have questions feel free to message or email me!

Hope any of this helps!

Patricia
R knee:
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
L knee:

Offline Lizard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 03:26:38 PM »
Curious to hear how much more ROM you've gotten and how the pain is coming along.  I am exactly one month behind you and have not yet started PT so dont know what my ROM is.  Not in pain now but assume when PT starts that will come back. Did you change doctors?

THanks.
Ruptured Patella Tendon - 12/26/2004
Surgery with wire - 12/27/2004
PT started - 2/11/2005
Wire removed - 3/16/2005

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 05:28:44 PM »
Just curious. What was the reasons given for rupture for each of you? Any weightlifting or steroids?
--
KNEEguru

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 09:04:14 PM »
KNEEguru -

My tendon was ruptured by my ex-OS. He snapped the tendon during an MUA and never diagnosed it. He then discharged me, telling me the pain was all in my head. I finally got a second opinion and found out that my tendon was completely ruptured, along with torn menisci and a severely dislocated patella. No sports, weightlifting, or steroids involved.

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
L knee:

Offline dianels

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 04:37:55 AM »
Hi Patricia,
I would really like to hear more about your knee issues. I had a total knee replacement last march—which didn't work. It doesn't hold any weight when I try to bend it and collapses and I cannot straighten it out. My surgeon went in again Oct. 1 to replace the plastic which he said was causing the problem. It made no difference. I have now gone to a new surgeon who diagnosed a ruptured patellar tendon even before he saw the xrays and the MRI. I now am going in for surgery to have it repaired March 7th. How is your knee doinf?
Diane
[email protected]

Offline wb5983

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 09:32:07 PM »
Thanks to all for your responses,I injured it when a basement staircase collapsed with me on it.I am currently up to about 70 ROM still in pain and waiting to see a new O/S on 2/17/05. Lizard,the best advice I can give is do whatever has to be done to prevent scarr tissue or you will be immobile and faciing more surgery as I currently am. My rupture was in the middle of tendon,not pulling off patella so i didn't require holes drilled in patella or wires. Again, thanks to all and best of luck to all!
RPT 11/26/04
Surgery 11/27/04
PT started 12/27/04  2xweek