« on: January 01, 2003, 04:16:42 PM »
Posterior cruciate ligament.

See ACL and you will understand.
--
KNEEguru

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
Re: PCL
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 09:44:47 PM »
A little elaboration, for those of you perhaps new to this type of injury.  I'm no expert, but this is what I was told by the three OSes I had when I ruptured mine - if I'm incorrect on any point here, please feel free to correct me.

First, lots of doctors perform ACL reco's, but not a lot repair PCLs.  Apparently a PCL is a somewhat different procedure than an ACL, so an OS has to do some different training to qualify.  Also, according to one of the OS doc's, the path and location of the PCL - especially as it relates to an artery in the leg - makes it potentially more complicated and risky, hence another reason not as many OSes perform these.

While an ACL injury "can" heal good as new, a PCL won't necessarily.  I had a friend injur her knee (ACL rupture as a result of a routine - and surprisingly minor - crash while skiing) two months after my PCL rupture.  Within six months you'd never know her knee was ever injured, and within a year, she had returned to skiing, running, etc. as it if was never torn.  When I brought this to the attention of my OS, he said you can't really compare a PCL (or its rehab) to an ACL because while they are close to each other in the knee, what it takes to injur them - and rehab them - is vastly different.

A major number of PCLs are caused by forcing the lower half of the leg backward while the knee is in a bent position.  Given how we humans sit on motorcycles and in automobiles, it's not surprising (so my OS claims) that most PCL injuries are caused by motor vehicle accidents.  He says in the case of a car accident, the injury happens when the victim is thrown forward, hitting the dashboard below the knees or when a part of the car (ie., the dash) is forced into the occupant's lower leg.  With motorcycles, he says riders will typically "clip" something with their knee as they ride by, forcing the lower part of the leg backward.  [ouch!]

Either way, the force exerted on the knee to tear the PCL is often more than enough to damage other parts of the knee as well, which is why a PCL is more often not the only ligament torn.  [In my case it was the PCL and the LCL, which I'm told is a typical pairing of ligament injuries when the PCL is involved]

Finally, and this is based mostly on my own experience since I've not been able to find many other PCL sufferers, PCL repaired knees are seldom "rock solid" again.  From what I've been told, with the right doctor, theapy, and maintenance, most knee injuries [excluding those caused by genetic disorders, for example] can be rehab'd to the point where you can resume most of the activities you enjoyed pre-injury.  But given the nature of PCL injuries and what it takes to repair them, the knee will always feel "loose."

I'd be interested to hear the experiences of anyone else who's had a PCL injury.

Kelly.  
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.

Offline horserider

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 05:41:27 PM »
I am 6 weeks post op after having my PCL and LCL replaced with double bundle donor graphs. I feel from about 10 feet on to my knee, only my right knee and snap. I was in the hospital 6 days as it looked like I was fighting infection and holy crap I have a scar the runs down the side of my leg (LCL) and one that looks like a giant candy cane running up the back (PCL) not to mention 4 other entry sites ranging from 1 to 2 inches long.
4 dissolving screws and 2 permanent and praying everything heals. My flexion is very good my extension is not, I see the os on Monday and am hoping to be able to put more than 25 pounds weight bearing. Going insane as I am a very active person. I have 1/4 calluses on my hands from crutches and fight some depression.
1/28/04 knee dislocation and severed ligs.
2/9/04 PCL/LCL donor graphs
3/24/04 hospital stay w/ staph
4/8/04 more sugery  staph 6 days in hospital & midline
11/15/04 chondromalacia patella  MRI p

Offline 35degrees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 09:47:45 PM »
I read some of your replies to people on here when they were having problems, like margarita for instance.. you are very insensative to other people yet you come on here and want sympothy? I don't get it... If you are so strong then why don't you quit whining and get the rest of your extension.. after all you do tell people that it is their own fault for not being able to gain rom without agony, so why do you need anyones help? If you are that strong of a person then you can do this on your own.

Katy

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 11:57:56 PM »
I'd offer that most people on here don't whine, they merely seek answers to questions they have and/or seek a bit of encouragement during difficult times.  I don't think there are many who would find something wrong with that, considering so many here who suffer from the same frustration, fear, and uncertainty.  Due to the number of posts on this board I think it's unreasonable to expect all posts will get a reply.  I know few of mine ever have, but then again when I was in the worst of my rehab what I really wanted as a venue to express my feelings and read about those of others, so I didn't really expect a lot of people to reply.

Sounds to me like what you rail against as whining is really a display of your own lack of understanding of what others are going through; we just don't know if that's intentional or accidental.
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.