Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fell 5 mos. ago, bruised "lower" knee, now have hard bump below knee???  (Read 8461 times)

Offline JordanG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
It was a hard impact when I slipped on wet ground, plenty of pain right away, but I guess not enough to get me to the doctor.  A fancy bruise and tenderness for a while thereafter.  I've recently noticed a hard bump about 1-1/2 to 2 inches below my kneecap.  The bump is maybe 1/2 inch in diameter.  I don't much like the look of it compared to my other knee.  Also, since I fell, this area sometimes makes a noise when I walk that is hard for me to describe -- not clicking, but more like a "stretching" noise of some kind.  I have a minor amount of pain with this from time to time, but it is not really bothersome to me.  I am a woman in my mid-40s.

For all you experts, what do you think is the problem with my knee area?  I'm very curious and am new to wondering about knee problems. :)  TIA.

Offline JordanG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
bumping to the top

Please help if you have any ideas regarding my symptoms.  This problem I've had must be rather common.  Thanks All. :)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
The bump you are describing sounds somewhat like osgoods schlatters disease. Look at the homepage of kneeguru and youll find some info about it.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

shadehawk

JordanG,

Hi, bone contusions can take up to a year to fully heal.  It takes rest, ice, compression and elevation.

You could see your GP and let them make the decision if you need to be referred to an orthopedic surgeon.

Good luck,

Shade

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
hi,
i have a question for you is it really painful when you touch it or move or anything like that? bone contusions can also have small fractures so you might want to go to your GP and have him look at it and see if you need to go see an OS also have you had any xrays done or anything like that you might want to consider it.
hope this helps a little bit
best wishes
-morgan-
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline JordanG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thank you for replying with your thoughts regarding my poor little old knee!

Last week I finally saw my doctor for a physical.  I asked the doc about the bump and she said it is a bone spur and that I should not expect it to go away. ::)  Apparently it did indeed develop because of the injury to my knee when I fell.  (Now I wish I'd asked her how best to care for my knee if I slip and fall again like that in the future.  I'd surely like to avoid developing any more such bumps.)

So that's my update and I hope this info might help other folks out there.

Blessings to you all. :)

support