Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Recent ACL replacement  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Kendo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recent ACL replacement
« on: April 22, 2005, 04:38:56 AM »
Sorry all but have never done this and probably making a fool of myself but need advice. I popped my ACL and tore my inner MCL (both left knee) in January, waited a month to build up quad and reduce swelling, then op in Feb using the patella tendon. Almost 9 weeks in and have been working hard at PT and home (ankle wrights, thera-band, bikes, etc, etc) and plenty of ice. Doc and PT say I'm doing great, way ahead of the curve but have had a minor (I HOPE!) setback anout which I'm very concerned. I've worked out for 30 years, running, many years on a Nordic Track, and after the last 3 months of sedentary life, started up again (doc's orders said fine) 2 weeks ago. Last night I was on the eliptical (mixing up wtih that, track and bikes, both recumbant and staionary) I heard/felt a slight pop, not like I'd been experiencing with my patella in front since surgery, but behind my knee. I'm petrified now that I may have ruined my graft...is that very likely? I don't have a lt of pain but frankly have some and it feels weird. I'm gonna call the doc in the AM and try and see him tomorrow but can't even think about going through all that crap again...any thoughts? Thanks in advance for putting up with me! I may be looking for a very high bridge tomorrow.

Offline harmer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Recent ACL replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 08:59:43 AM »
i wouldn't worry too much just yet! I had a ACL recon (patella autograft) and mensicus tear removal in Nov04 and i am only just starting to do some of the stuff at the gym that you have been talking about. My ROM is good and stability seems fine but i do get a lot of cracking/clicking at the front of the knee which is very disconcerting. Saw my OS about it and he did the usual tests and said that the graft seemed fine and not to worry. Because the operation is very complex and involves a lot of tissue and tendon disturbance and, in my case, bone drilling and shaving, there is bound to be some strange feelings in the knee in the rehab period. He was concerned that this didn't let up however and i am having an arthroscopy next week to check the cartilage and clean out any tissue/debris.

Sorry to waffle on but my point is that if you have felt something strange don't panic just yet, it might not be the acl graft. Give it a while longer and if there is no improvement ask your OS to check it out. The important thing is as i'm sure most people on this site will tell you is not to rush things and do too much too quickly. Even the most active/fittest of athlete can take upto a year to fully recover from an ACL recon!

Good luck!

Dan

Offline Kendo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 11:58:15 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance...I'll check it out but hopefully just typical symptoms!

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »
Can never say 100%, but highly unlikely your graft spontaneously popped unless you were involved in cuttng/pivoting/sliding type motion involved in sports or slipping in a shower, etc...

Remember, that your graft is held in place- usually with screws or staples- that are very durable and resilient.

My experience is that it takes up to a year or two for everything to feel normal.  ACL is pretty major surgery and there all types of things going on in your knee: swelling, possible loose bodies such as scarring, etc... I remember for the first year I felt all this crunching while walking which eventually went away.

Good Luck,

Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline Kendo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 03:49:38 PM »
Thanks, Nick...crunching and popping still haunting, but getting better.

Offline bariotics

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 10:57:39 AM »
does this crunching / popping sound make you feel that your knee is unstable?

ex. while sitting down on a chair with knees bent about 90 degrees (or close to it), lean back and relax...then try twisting your leg (twist by moving feet in a wiper like motion but w/ feet on the ground)

does your operated knee feel unstable? is it moving differently unlike your good knee?  is this normal?

i am 4 mos post ACl recon & menisectomy by the way..

Offline Kendo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 07:32:07 PM »
I just tried your excercise (Bariotics) and feel much more stable than I did a week ago. My PT guy tells me I may have pulled something (else) and I got nervous...I've been working out quite a bit since and feeling stronger every day. I see the doc on May 5 and suspect all is fine now...we'll see. The crunching and popping comes and goes, evidently when I'm more stressed after long days running around and have not stretched out. My routine is 20 minutes recumbant bike, 20 minutes Nordic Track, 20 minutes eliptical...4 nights a week. Also ALMOST every morning I stretch EVERYTHING and ice...once or twice a week I'm out too early to go through that so I do it at night after a workout. At first I thought I was over doing it, but the more I do now the better I feel so screw it...thanks for the input!

K