Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: EDS and HEDS  (Read 1808 times)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 100
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
EDS and HEDS
« on: January 01, 2003, 04:01:02 PM »
Ehlers Danlos Syndrome

Ehlers Danlos - the doctors who first described it, I guess.
Syndrome - a group of symptoms which seem to go together with a certain condition, in this case over laxity of the joints and skin.

Here is a link to a support group for this condition:

http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 09:51:17 AM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: EDS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 08:47:10 AM »
yes Ehlers-Danlos after the 2 doctors who named them being  Edvard Ehlers in 1899 and Henri-Alexandre Danlos  in 1908.

A genetic (autosomal dominant) connective tissue/ collagen disorder, that can affect everything from joints (being overlax (Hypermobile)) and skin (soft, velvety and/or stretchy and fragile) to ears, eyes, heart, internal organs, gastric systems, and a WHOLE lot more (basically anything made from collagen (one of the building blocks of our body)) there are other disorders that are similar these being Marfans and OI (osteogenesis Imperfecta) it just depends on which collagen gene is affects as to which disorder you end up with. There are about 7 subtypes ranging in symptoms and severity including the vascular form which is the most dangerous form (as it can be fatal)

I am one of the unlucky ones to have EDS. I have HEDS or the old type 3 it is the Hypermobility form (with crossover from the Periodontal forms (PEDS) and the Classic Forms (CEDA), but affects more than just my   joints (I also have organ and skin and sich involvement).

Sharon
« Last Edit: September 22, 2003, 08:23:31 AM by Shazinoz »
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++