Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: scared as hell  (Read 1192 times)

Offline artgf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
scared as hell
« on: April 21, 2005, 02:01:14 AM »
hello. i'm new to the board but from what i've read, there's a lot of informed people here. here is my question. last monday me and some friends were skating a pool out here in l.a. and i screwed my knee up dropping in. i was promptly taken to the nearest e.r. wehre they took some x-rays of my knee. they informed me that nothing was broken(whew!) and gave me an immobilizer and crutches. no weight bearing for one week and weight as tolerable 2nd week. well it's been 9 days and i can hobble along without the crutches and bend my knee more than i could in the begining. i am still wearing the immobilizer day and night. (sorry if this is long winded) last night as i was ready to take a shower i noticed that my calf, lower leg, and some of my ankle were purple, like they were bruised, and slightly swollen. there is no pain or tenderness in these areas. this seems to have happened after the swelling in my knee began to go down. it scared the hell out of me! i don't now if this is normal or not but it doesn't look right. it seems like all the blood/fluid that was in my knee ran down my leg to my calf, lower leg, and ankle. like i said i am scred stiff! is this normal? i have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning but i am so scared he;s going to tell me something is terribly wrong. has anyone else heard or seen this happen? thanks for the help and i apologize again for the length of this post. :-\
04/11/05- ruptured patellar tendon skateboarding in pool
05/20/05- Patellar tendon reconstuctive surgery
08/02/05 cleared for PT
08/05/05 started PT
01/20/06- wire removed-time to strengthen that quad!

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: scared as hell
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 02:28:10 AM »
It is very normal for blood in the knee to drain down the calf and even the foot. Have you ever sprained your ankle? NOtice how the blood pools near the sole of the foot and not around the sore places on the ankle? Same principal. That is not to say that you didnt damage your knee. You definately need to see the dr but the bruising itself is not something to worry over too much. Gravity just pulled the blood downward.
good luck and I hope that you didnt damage it badly.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline artgf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 02:35:34 AM »
stgiles, you just made my day!!!! ;D i was so scared because the first thing i thought of was(don't laugh) gangrene. i know it's siilly but i was scared. i didn't know that this was normal. in all the years i've been skating(13), this is the first time i have ever hurt my self beyond a twisted ankle. thank you again! you gave me some peace of mind.
04/11/05- ruptured patellar tendon skateboarding in pool
05/20/05- Patellar tendon reconstuctive surgery
08/02/05 cleared for PT
08/05/05 started PT
01/20/06- wire removed-time to strengthen that quad!

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 02:48:28 AM »
You are quite welcome, hope you get some good news tomorrow.
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06