Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What is the most reliable way to diagnose a knee problem  (Read 1274 times)

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
What is the most reliable way to diagnose a knee problem
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »
Hi

Like a lot of people on this board I seem to be having trouble identifying what exactly is wrong with my knee, with different OS's and PT's diagnosing different things.
The problem seems to be either Plica Syndrome or Meniscal Cyst / Tear or, that there's nothing wrong whatsoever?!

I am just wondering what to do next.  With the OS / PT 's all disagreeing over MRI scans, xrays and examinations,  and my knee steadily getting worse, what can I do?

I am unsure about what happens during an arthroscopic.  Could they go in and just have a look? 
I ask because if I opted for surgery I would not want my Plica removed although I would want a meniscal problems sorted.

plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: What is the most reliable way to diagnose a knee problem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 04:16:29 PM »
Well if you have had MRI's and x-rays and the doctors still can't firgue out whats wrong with your knee but it is gettig more and more painful I think the next step would be doing a scope. You said your not sure what they do. Well they put a little camera in your knee so they can actually see it, and this is the bext way to diagnose a knee problem. Yes, they can just go and have a look around without doing any kind of repair but depending whats wrong your OS may want to do it at that time (ie. mensicus tear)
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 04:22:15 PM »
FJ,

Hi, just read your post and wondered why you would not want your plica removed - I am going to be having that procedure done - folded over plica can create a lot of knee pain.

A diagnostic scope - they go in and have a look around your knee to determine what is causing your knee pain.

If your surgeons can not agree, maybe you should ask for a diagnostic scope.  I truly know how you feel - I have had 5 - OS assessments and if you add up everything that I have been told my knees are in bad shape - but guess we'll never know until someone goes in and does a scope.  I really, like you, do not understand how so many doctor's can look at the same MRI and have so many different opinions.

If you are have a scope then you should have some definitive answers.  Sorry that I can not help you more - sounds like we are in the same boat.

Let us know how everything goes.

Shade
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 04:24:15 PM by Shade »

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:46:01 PM »
Thanks for those quick answers

Shade - I'm not sure if I want my Plica removed after reading the bad results people have had on this forum!
Also, it seems there maybe a way that plica syndrome can be 'managed' (for some people) with PT.  I'm not sure.  If its a meniscal problem then I would want that rectified ASAP as its one of those things that can only get worse.

Good luck with your procedure please let me know how you get along and what they find.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:04:09 PM »
FJ,

Thanks, but you will probably have had a procedure done and be through rehab before I ever get near my surgery.  It will be almost a year before I have my surgery.  Canada is very slow.

Hugs,  ;)

Shade