Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: hyalart injections  (Read 5971 times)

Offline sadface

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
hyalart injections
« on: April 20, 2005, 03:44:57 PM »
I nees some help.I 'm about to start having injections on my knee(hyalart)because of osteoartritis.Anyone had these before?Do they hurt?I hate injections....but Im in a lot of pain.
Thanks

shadehawk

Re: hyalart injections
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 04:06:27 PM »
Sadface,

Hi I found this study, it might answer some of your questions.

Hyaluronic acid injections for knee osteoarthritis

Systematic review of the literature

Anita Aggarwal, MD, CCFP   Ian P. Sempowski, MD, CCFP(EM)

ABSTRACT
OBJECTIVE To determine whether viscosupplementation with intra-articular hyaluronic acid (HA) injections improves pain and function in patients with osteoarthritis (OA) in their knees.
DATA SOURCES We searched MEDLINE, Pre-MEDLINE, and Cochrane databases using the MeSH headings and key words osteoarthritis (knee) and hyaluronic acid.
STUDY SELECTION English-language case series and randomized controlled trials (RCTs) were selected. Studies with biologic, histologic, or arthroscopic outcomes were excluded.
SYNTHESIS Five case series and 13 RCTs were critically appraised. Data from three case series and three RCTs using injections of high-molecular-weight HA (Synvisc) demonstrated significant improvement in pain, activity levels, and function. The beneficial effect started as early as 12 weeks. Studies using low-molecular-weight HA had conflicting results.
CONCLUSION Viscosupplementation with high-molecular-weight HA is an effective treatment for patients with knee OA who have ongoing pain or are unable to tolerate conservative treatment or joint replacement. Viscosupplementation appears to have a slower onset of action than intra-articular steroids, but the effect seems to last longer.

Good luck,  ;)

Shade

Offline sadface

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 04:33:19 PM »
Hi Shade.
thank you for you post.it was quite helpful.The only thing that worries me is weather it hurts or noe...as I dont like injections and especially on my knee.... :)I guess Im not the only one? ::)

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:49:37 PM »
sadface -

check out the "injections to the joint" board under osteoarthritis.  Lots of people have had these injections with a couple of different brands, and a wide range of experiences.  That should give you some first hand perspective.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)