Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: SED Rate questions  (Read 927 times)

Offline RRC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
SED Rate questions
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:48:52 PM »
I had arthroscopic surgery on a torn meniscus on February 22. A week later, I was prescribed Augmentin as I had an infection. I was told it was a "fleshy" infection even though the doctor knew it was staff. After 2 more weeks of Augementin and 4 drainings, another doctor (mine was away) took me directly into OR (March 23rd) to athroscopically rinse the infection with antibiotics. I was in the hospital for 6 days with intravenous antibiotics after that.
I went back to see my regular doctor on April 8 and told him I was still having low-grade fever and the knee was still warm to the touch. He sent me to have a SED rate test done. 10 days later, I get a call from the doctors office and am told my SED rate is "way high" I just found out it is 80. They want me to see an infectious disease doctor. I finally was able to make an appointment for May 13th.
I guess I just need to vent but am amazed at the amount of time it is taking to get things done. First, 3 weeks with staff infection and now 10 days before the office even bothers to call me about the SED. In the meantime, I'm still hobbling around on a cane and since I'm a cabinetmaker, don't feel well enough to lug plywood and lumber all over the place.
Is this normal or does something seem a little out of place?
Thanks for listening and any comments.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 09:27:14 PM by RRC »

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: SED Rate questions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:00:36 AM »
RRC

Sounds like your OS or his staff dropped the ball big time.  ???  He should have arranged the appointment with the ID.  Doctors always seem to get you in much faster that you can on your own?  I would be upset with him for not treating the initial infection earlier and more aggressively LOL, but thatís water under the bridge.

I would call the OS and insist He get you and appointment with the ID Pronto.  This is nothing to play around with.

Best of luck.  Let us know how things go.

Hugs
Rozzzie   8)
OA of knees since 85†
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR† Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 10:43:16 PM »
DO NOT WAIT until May 13, or whatever to see if the joint of your knee is infected. THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM> THEY need to go in and do some cultures through the scope, and if the cultures are positive, start cleaning up the knee and put u on IV antibiotics. Ask for a blood culture if nothing else, and if that grows staph, (MRSA) then tell them you feel like you cannot wait until MAY> Would going to the ER get you into the infectious disease any sooner, if not have your Family dr or the OS call and get you NOW>  How do they know it is staph? Have you had any antibiotics,other than the augmentin? I read your post fast, and may not remember all the details, but you need help now. get another ESR< CRP, and blood culture,and ask if they have done any cultures on the knee. THIS IS a SERIOUS PROBLEM< and should be addressed without delay, if you have a joint infection. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR† ,† Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline RRC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 02:36:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies. The OS office called me back and, I guess after noticing a distinct "tone" in my voice, made an appointment for 04/21...tomorrow.
I too feel the ball has been dropped more than a few times and after sitting around 60 days, find myself getting angry at my lack of treatment. After doing some research and finding that an 80 SED is pretty high, it makes me even more upset.
Thanks again for the replies. I'll keep you posted on the diagnosis and treatment.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 03:40:16 AM »
Glad to hear that your appointment is tomorrow!!  GOOD LUCK!!!

Hugs
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85†
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR† Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006