Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Shape and position of knees  (Read 768 times)

Offline Munrobagger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Shape and position of knees
« on: April 19, 2005, 06:35:57 PM »
This is gonna seem rerally daft to all but could someone help me with insight into how the kee is supposed to look like if you face onto it.
I have been told  that my knee caps are mis-alined. If facing my knees my right knee cap on the outside of my leg has the little inset bit and i can feel bone, and on the inside of my leg side it is flat going around the back.
my left knee is the same of the above. On the outside of the leg there is the the inset bit with bone, and in the inside of my leg there is the round bit with no noticible bone.
I hope this descriptions make sense. i have looked at pictures but they all have the skin removed so that does not help me.

i have felt my partner's knees and his are not like that. the round bit is on the outisde and the bit with bone and inset is on the inside.

As a side my knee caps are agony right now and am waiting for an MRI. Hs anyone found it useful and what does it show exactly?

Many thanks to all you help

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Shape and position of knees
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 06:40:30 PM »
I don't quite understand what it is that you are trying to describe.. but i'll see if I can help..
First of all MRI's can be very helpful but they can also show false information ...  I have had 5 and they were all pretty un helpful, but that's just me. I however like you do have kneecap alignment problems. Sometimes people who have alignment problems they show up more frequently while in the range of motion rather than when your legs are straight... have they done xrays. My OS likes a set of skyline xrays at 30, 60 and 90 degrees to determine patellar position.

The things about knees is that no two peoples are going to look the same, and problem knees can look just as normal as the next.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Goodluck
linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 06:45:40 PM »
The best way to determine knee alignment is thru X-rays both a sunrise view and a front weight bearing view from hips to ankles. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 06:48:38 PM »
IS the "sunrise" the same as a Merchant view?  That's what all the journals say you need to diagnose malalignment.

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 09:12:33 PM »

Sunrise, Merchant, Skyline views..all the same thing from what i've been told.

1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support