Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Grade VI Tibial Plateau fracture  (Read 984 times)

Offline adamt1227

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grade VI Tibial Plateau fracture
« on: April 19, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »
I fell off my BMX bike and sustained a Grade VI tibial plateau fracture on October 28, 2004. I had two surgeries and now have two plates and some screws in my leg. I have been working very hard going to physical therapy since the beginning of January and was doing work at home prior to that. My range of motion is coming very slowly (I am now up to 113 degrees).  Two weeks ago I started using a dyna splint for both flexion and extension and they seem as if they are going to make a difference. One thing I have been experiencing however, is some severe pain behind the knee (on the backside of my leg) when I am doing range of motion stretching. Has anyone else experienced this and if yes, was there anything you found to alleviate it? I will continue the hard work so that I can ride my bike again, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Offline favouritesearcher

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Grade VI Tibial Plateau fracture
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 09:08:04 AM »
I had a fracture of the tibial spine (central non-weight bearing part of the plateau).  There is ongoing discomfort of the underside of the leg behind the knee, but I wouldn't call it pain, just sore.  In my case it's adaptive musle, sore when bending too much and doesn't like to stretch.

If the pain is severe it could be hardware or scar tissue and it would be best to ask a doctor or PT/physio about it as they will tell you if it's normal and investigate if necessary.

John
Mar 04 - Tibial spine avulsion fracture (skiing). Open surgery to fix, 1 screw.  Max passive ROM 20-75, active ROM 30-45
Aug 04 - Diag. severe arthro. Scar tissue clean up (LOA, removal of scar tissue).
Feb 05 - Discharged from surgeon's care. ROM 3-125.
Apr 05 - Discharged from physio. Same ROM