Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee issues...  (Read 987 times)

Offline Hands Bound

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee issues...
« on: April 19, 2005, 03:33:54 PM »
My knees have always given me problems.  My right knee has been dislocating (the whole joint, not the kneecap) since I was 16...I'm 23 now.  I went to the dr. for it and she diagnosed it as an ACL, LCL, and meniscus tear.  I had the MRI and went to the OS and he said there was nothing wrong.

I looked up some info on hypermobility and I scored a 7/9 on the Breighton Test.  I have another appointment with a different OS.

What can be done to help the instability, if anything?  Any information on this would be appreciated...it's tough to find info on this and anything would be appreciated.
Awaiting correct diagnosis for dislocating knees...

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Knee issues...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 05:14:19 PM »
If you have true hypermobility a connective tissue dissorder than I think you'll likely need to see some other doctors other than orthopedics.   Usually Orthopedic Surgeons are reluctant to operate on patients with Connective tissue dissorders as your ability to heal is usually affected by the disease.  I know a forum sort of like this where there are quite a few people with connective tissue problems, some to the extreme....

if you'd like to check it out, i'll give you the web address

http://thejointsjoint.aimoo.com

Hope you can find some help, alot of times you can be fitted with orthopedic braces to help support wonky joints.  I myself have some indicators for this as my maternal grandmother scored very high on the hypermobility scale, kind of all of the rest of us have some sign of this problem.

Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 05:59:58 PM »
I would be concerned with the possibility of a posterolateral complex injury.  These don't normally show up on an MRI.  I would concerned because your doctor first diagnosed you with the combined ACL/LCL.  The LCL can be considered part of the posteriolateral complex.  These are very hard to treat and require a long recovery after surgery.  However, I think it would need to be determined first if you are hypermobile because I don't think the reconstruction would work as well.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Hands Bound

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:26:32 PM »
Received the diagnosis yesterday.

Recurrent dislocating patella, hypermobility - which in turn has stretched out every ligament and tendon in my knees...

Starting PT next week...wish me luck!
Awaiting correct diagnosis for dislocating knees...

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 01:35:06 PM »
hands~
Good luck at PT. You ask what can help with insability, normally bulding up the quads help alot, which is probably what you'll be doing at PT though.
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

support