Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: A few Questions for all of you OATS peoples :)  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: A few Questions for all of you OATS peoples :)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 05:31:39 PM »
Hi Zach,
   It didn't bother me, although the anesthesiologist was watching closely in case I started to freak out.  I also wondered about implants on the kneecap.  My OS told me that they weren't having much success doing it on the underside of the patella because of the stress, especially with malaligned patellas.  I am not a candidate anyway as I have no cartilage left on the patella nor the femur.  He also wasn't too big on the microfracture procedure although he said that we could try it after the TTT didn't help ( I opted not to ).  I also asked about a partial knee replacement, but I am not a candidate for that as my knees are in too bad of shape. 
   Part of the problem with the TTTs may have been me deciding to do PT on my own.  When I did opt to go to PT with the last one, 16 months after surgery, the PT told me that I waited too long and everything in my knee is too tight now and some of the structures would be really hard to stretch at this late date.  He also thinks I have patella baja now because of scar tissue.  So I would strongly recommend going to PT what ever procedure you have done.  Good luck!  Let me know how things work out!

Patty

Offline gogoose16

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 10:39:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply, I talked to a few of the anesthesiologists at work a few minutes ago, yes im still at work :), they all said as long as my OS had no problem with a spinal that it wouldn't be a big deal.  They all did agree that any procedure that involved anything more than arthorscopy would be "unusual" to have only a spinal and no IV regulated sedation.  Luckily since I work in the hospital i get to choose my anesthesiologist, CRNA, surg tech, 1st scrub assist or PA and my PACU nurse!  As for the patellar cap, i guess is what they are called, i know my patella is not malaligned anymore, as the TTT took care of that, the problem is that the surfaces are just so sh*tty that the joint wont glide, just like everyone elses on this board.  SO maybe that would work for me? I'll be sure to ask. Another random question, does anyoen have to sleep with their leg having off of the edge of the bed, bent, to feel comfortable?

Cheers,
Zach
05.04 L Knee Scope Debridment
10.04 L Knee Scope Debridment
12.04 L Knee Scope/LR/Medial Imbrication
03.05 L Knee Scope/TTT
10.05 L Knee Hardware removal
01.05 L Knee Scope/ ACI Harvest

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 12:59:38 PM »
Zach -

I definitely do not sleep with my leg hanging off the bed, but I have spent many nights with a pillow or pillows propped under my knee.  It keeps it elevated and bent, which can be quite comfortable.  I'm usuallly a side sleeper, so I now have a body pillow which really cushions the knee nicely, allowing me to sleep in my usual position without crushing the knee in my sleep.

As to your surgery, it sounds like you are asking the right questions. Since you're so young, just be sure to ask how durable any solution is expected to be.  YOu don't want to get something done that will only last 10 years unless you have some idea of what the options may be in 10 years.  They may be able to repeat a procedure, or there may be new things in testing and development phases.  Just be sure you consider the life you want at 30, not just at 21.

Good luck.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 10:57:04 PM »
Hi Zach,
   I don't know much about the patellar cap.  I hope it is something that will work for you.  I slept with my leg elevated for a long time, now I just sleep with a pillow between my knees (I too am a side sleeper) and it does help the knee as well as the hip.  I would second what blackbeltgirl says about doing what is best for the long term!

Patty
P.S. It is unusual to not have some sort of sedation with a spinal for major surgery and the anesthesiologists weren't thrilled about it.  However my OS knows me very well (I have been going to him for 20 years) and he said what ever I wanted was OK with him. 

support