Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondritis Dissecans Diagnosis  (Read 7832 times)

Offline sheppardwk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Osteochondritis Dissecans Diagnosis
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »
Here is what I found:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000101/151.html

Page 3, 2nd paragraph under Epidemiology:

The incidence of OCD in the general population is estimated to be 15 to 30 cases per 100,000 persons.1,5 Although rare, it is recognized as an important cause of joint pain in active adolescents. OCD has typically been known to affect males between 10 and 20 years of age. One study noted that boys are three to four times as likely to be affected as girls.3 The incidence appears to be increasing in women2 and in younger children,1 perhaps because of increasing involvement in organized sports.

The most commonly affected areas include, in decreasing order of frequency, the femoral condyles, talar dome and capitellum of the humerus.6 The knee is involved about 75 percent of the time.3 Classically, the non­weight-bearing medial femoral condyle is the location in 85 percent of cases of OCD of the knee.7 OCD must be ruled out in the contralateral joint, because 20 to 30 percent of cases are bilateral.3

I'm not a Dr. either, all I know about condyles is from what I've read - the make up of the knee consists of the medial femoral condyle and the lateral femoral condyle.  Each condyle has an anterior aspect and a lateral aspect.  Hopefully someone else can shed some insight as well.

brattkids2

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 07:02:16 PM »
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/06_96/ralston.htm

Here is another article that explains that there arenon weight bearing portions to the chondyles.

Hope everyone is doing well today!!

Paulette

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 08:23:07 PM »
Wow this is interesting.  I was just reading something this morning...it was from an International Cartilage Repair Symposium attended by Minas, Boland and others.  Granted it was from 1998 it stated at one point that 'there is no truly non-weight bearing portion of the articular surface".
I was under the impression that there was infact non-weight bearing portions of the knee, gosh, thats where my plugs were apparently taken from. lol  Who knows now. 

Its an interesting read if your interested in cartilage regeneration techniques, but like I said its from 1998. The area that mentions the weight bearing issue in on page 2 or maybe 3 under the Oats/Mosaicplasty section. 
http://www.orthojournalhms.org/volume1/html/cartilage_repair.html

right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline sheppardwk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 09:25:08 PM »
I'm not really sure, but apparently 85% of OCD lesions are located on the lateral side of the medial femoral chondyle (MFC).  In layman's terms, I suppose that would be the inner portion of your knee where the femur forms the chondyles.  On my left knee for example, it would be the left-most (lateral) portion of the inner chondryle or the MFC.