Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scar Tissue  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Jakem

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
Scar Tissue
« on: March 16, 2005, 11:45:28 PM »
Hi Folks,

I am 6 months post op and I have some scar tissue and an extension issue.

My question about scar tissue is can I wear it down gradually by massage and use of the joint through exercise or is the only way to get rid of scar tissue by surgery?

I am also having what I believe is a unique issue with extension, at least I think it is unique.  We all know about people that can't achieve full extension after a tough surgery.  That is not my situation.  When I stretch and extend my knee for several minutes I can achieve full extension.  In fact I can put a thin book under my heel and even extend beyond 0 degrees to about -5 degrees.  After I stretch it like this, I can get up and walk around and I feel great.  However, after I sit down for just 10 minutes, I can't extend it again.  It is about 10 degrees from full extension.  So I have to stretch it again for about 1-2 minutes to get back to full extension.  This is extremely annoying as I have spent the last few months stretching it out about 20 times a day.

What is causing this unique problem and do I just have to keep stretching for several more months until it can get to full extension and stay there?

Any help with these 2 questions will be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Offline gogoose16

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Scar Tissue
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 05:29:53 AM »
I've had my knee scoped twice to remove scar tissue after big surgeries. Not a big deal. Easier than going to pt for deep tissue massages and ultrasound.  Just get local with IV sedation, you'll be in and out in three hours. cheers.

zach
05.04 L Knee Scope Debridment
10.04 L Knee Scope Debridment
12.04 L Knee Scope/LR/Medial Imbrication
03.05 L Knee Scope/TTT
10.05 L Knee Hardware removal
01.05 L Knee Scope/ ACI Harvest

Offline Jakem

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 02:48:53 AM »
Hi Zach,

Was your scar tissue causing extension problems and pain in the front of the knee?

Was it successful?

What is the rehab?

How long before you are off crutches?

Thanks for your time.

Offline gogoose16

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 02:53:35 AM »
Yea, there were definate extension issues. If i sat at the end of a bed, i could straighten one leg all the way out, to be level wit the bed, while the leg with the scar tissue was about 30 degrees off. 

Both scar tissue resections were on the same knee. Ironically, arthroscopic surgery to remove scar tissue, can yet again, cause the developement of scar tissue. The more active you are after your scar tissue resection the less likely you are to have it regenerate, from what i was told by my OS.  I was in PT for 2 weeks just to make sure I got my ass moving and didn't sit around and develope an effusion.  I walked that day, no crutches.
05.04 L Knee Scope Debridment
10.04 L Knee Scope Debridment
12.04 L Knee Scope/LR/Medial Imbrication
03.05 L Knee Scope/TTT
10.05 L Knee Hardware removal
01.05 L Knee Scope/ ACI Harvest