Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: how long does it take to recover?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
how long does it take to recover?
« on: April 17, 2005, 10:17:24 PM »
My OS told me that after dislocation your kneecap it can take up to two years to get it back in place properly. Mine is currently still very sublexed and pops out of place maybe 3-4 times daily now. In the summer, I worked on getting my leg strength back because they thought that would help re-locate it. My PT was EXTREMLY pleased with how strong my quads got, but yet my pain got worse? Has anyone else heard that it can take 2 years? Like Im just so frusterated. They have tried taping, 3 different braces, PT and nothing helped. Next steps?
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: how long does it take to recover?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 11:33:20 AM »
Hey Smiley :) 
I really think you need to get another opinion... it's possible that your knee pain is from the positioning of your kneecap, and it's possible that while you had a dislocation that the problem was there before this happened.  It's good to keep exercising and building muscle strength as it can never hurt to be strong...

But if nothing is helping, Braces , taping etc it might be time to find another OS. Have you tried the BREG PTO brace by the way? As I find this brace really keeps my kneecaps where they are supposed to be.  It's bulky and hard to fit under alot of different clothes, but on the days when the things just don't want to stay where they are supposed to be, it's  a life saver.

Goodluck and Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 01:25:38 PM »
Hey Smiley :)
When i severly dislocated my left patella it hurt like you wouldn't believe (I am sure you know where i am coming from!) I went to hospital and was in an immobilising brace for about 6 weeks and couldn't walk properly on it for months. I am not sure why this was, i did have a tiny crack and ended up having done cartilage damage and i feel this was the reason. I don't think the pain was due to my patella still being a little out of allignment. The stupid thing is though when i did it i didn't go and see my orthopaedic surgeon like i should have. I didn't realise what a big deal it was until i had an arthroscope a year later to fix damage (torn cartilage) I don't know about it taking two years to heal...that sounds like an extremely long time. My knee still hurts now...but these things certainly take time. Knees don't tend to heal very quickly and once you have done sufficient damage i've heard sometimes they never fully recover. If you think you need to ask for another opinion though go for it, you only get two knees to last you a lifetime!! When i saw my orthopaedic surgeon a few months after my knee accident he never mentioned any huge time frame like that and like you i started doing some exercises for to strenghten my quads. Did you sustain any other injuries from when you dislocated your knee maybe this is why your healing process is taking longer?? If it's any comfort i dislocated my knee when i was 17 and had my other subluxes when i was 15-16 I am now twenty and haven't had any for a long time, maybe it's something you can grow out :)
Try not to feel frustrated, hope you get some answers and this helps a little :)
Pip
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 12:02:47 AM »
Pip & Linds- Thanks so mch tot he both of you. Pip, to answer your question, to my OS's knowledge there has been no other damage.  He did think however my ACL was a goner but the MRI shoed it was fine. Did the both of you find that after sitting down, and then standing up (like outta a chair) your knee cap would sublex, this happens to me daily and i always have to push it back in place. What did you doto fix this?
Thanks again!
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 01:56:37 AM »
Firstly how does it not creep you out pushing your kneecap back in to place! I shudder at the thought of that lol. And secondly the MRI may not show the ACL damage. They aren't 100% And finally I was going to say something about the time scale but I got distracted by something outside lol. I will ask sisters bf because I know he had problems with dislocations and still does. But then again he never got it fixed properly. But it has gradually got better on its own.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 02:02:53 AM »
Hey Krista...

Well my kneecaps are like permanently subluxed hanging out on the edges of my femurs, but they do tend to get stuck out there when I get up or roll over in bed and I have to adjust them.  I haven't over 16 years been able to find anything to stop this from happening even surgeries haven't helped with that, but having good strong muscles helps I will definately say that.  I find that my Breg brace realy helps with this as well.
I hope you get some answers soon... I'm sorry you are having such troubles..

Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 07:49:04 AM »
Hey again Krista :)
It's true that MRI's can sometimes not show all damage that has occured to the knee i still find it wierd though that your OS would say it takes up to two years to heal from a dislocation if no other damage was done at the time. My knees haven't subluxed when i have gone from a sitting position to a standing position very often. A scan (i posted another topic about it) i had ages ago when i was 15/16 showed that my patella's maltrack, however unless this changes over time i have not had very many problems with it lately. Also, i am not sure how much a patella needs to maltrack before it causes a problem. Alot of the times when my knee has subluxed it has gone back in itself apart from the once it got lodged in my thigh. And Prof...to answer your question, it's not creepy pushing your kneecaps back in, for me it's more creepy (and painful!!) having them out! I have done alot of work strengthening my quads and hamstrings and have found this really helps keep my patellas more firmly in place. However, there is a catch, you need exercises to strengthen the right muscles in your legs because as my Physio pointed out if you strengthen the wrong muscles you can stregthen the muscles that are more likely to pull your patella out of place, know what i mean? Maybe that is why your kneecaps are sliding out so easily? Like i said before though, MRI's do not show everything all the time, i think it's because when the pictures are taken they are taken in slices, meaning that if the problem lies in between two slices it doesn't show... Having your kneecaps slide outwards when you stand up isn't a good thing, it's obviously impacting your lifestyle and whilst it may stop if your OS is certain there are no issues with it i would probably go and see someone else.
Goodluck with everything :)
Pip
-I probably repeated myself alot there- sorry!!  At least i got my point across right? ::)

Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 12:55:10 PM »
Three_screws,

Hi, I found it interesting what you said about an MRI - I had not thought about that before about them just taking slices & subluxed kneecaps might not show up.  On my MRI it stated that my kneecaps were perfectly aligned in the groove and that is so not true - when I stand they sit off on the inside of my leg every time.  Guess it also might be because an mri is non-weight-bearing.

smiley196 - sure hope that you can get some answers before two years - that seems like a long time to me.  Have you thought about getting a second opinion - sometimes that is well worth it - to have someone else read your MRI and have another opinion on the findings.

Good luck,  ;)

Shade

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 08:43:17 PM »
Thanks everyone. Shade, yes I have thought about a secnd opinion but its convincing my parents that needs work !lol. Prof and Pip- yea, I do know that MRI's aren't too accurate with ACL tears but my OS didnt say anything about that so I dont really know. I think there is something fishy though because for the past 8 months he was all about the ACL, and all of a sudden he thinks it was kneecap? And even if it was....they would have seen it on the x-ray they took att he hospital when i hurt it..whcih they didn't.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 08:50:12 PM »
Steve- Good luck at your surgery, im sure all will be fine. It really depends on what your OS does. IF he just trimms up your meniscus, then you will be back to running much quicker but may develop arthritis in the long run. If he stitches it (repairs) then it takes alot longer to heal and should be back in about 6-8 weeks, but it is better for you knee many years down the road. Good luck!
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)