Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 5 weeks post-op when can i wear heels?  (Read 12833 times)

Offline looby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
5 weeks post-op when can i wear heels?
« on: April 17, 2005, 05:40:33 PM »
As there are quite alot of females who use this site just wondered if anyone knows when i can wear heels again? Im 5 weeks post ACL reconstruction and cartlidge repair. I have a university awards ceremony next week and not sure if can wear them. can anyone help?  :)
December 2003- hairline fracture of fibula and partial rupture of ACL (nasty rugby tackle).
May 2004- complete rupture of ACL and tear to medial meniscus.
May 2004-march 2005- nasty knee that liked giving way at silly times e.g putting shoes!
March 2005- ACL reconstruction and cartlidge repair!!!

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: 5 weeks post-op when can i wear heels?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 08:02:33 PM »
Hi lLooby,

I've never had an ACL reconstruction or a meniscus repair, but just general knowledge of the knee physiology, would say that would be rushing things a bit.  Why don't you ask your Physio (PT) or OS.  They know your knee and would be better able to advise you about that.

I hope the award ceremony is great, even if you can't wear heals.

Hugs
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
Re: 5 weeks post-op when can i wear heels?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 05:32:55 AM »
I would wait until your Doc or PT says you can. I am really short so I wear heels all the time and believe me wearing heels after knee surgery hurts since it forces your knee into a different position. I would seriously wait until you are all healed up. I wore heels shortly my first scope and boy did I regret it. Even today I still find wearing heels of a certain height quite painful. Yet I do it anyway. I was a bit smarter this second time around and waited about 6 months before I put on a pair of heels. My suggestion would be to use this opportunity to go out and buy an awesome pair of flats. Also when you buy shoes make sure to walk aroudn and stand in them for awhile.(You can find great flats but you will have to search for them if you are as picky about shoes as I am  :) )  I just bought some shoes for my wedding dress and my mom told me to stand in them. Sure enough the original pair I was going to buy upset my knees after awhile so I went with the pair that I walked around the store and set up fitting appointments in. These I know won't hurt my knees. Speaking of knees I was jokingly telling mom that for the whole something blue requirement for the wedding I was gonna dye my knee brace blue...sadly she didn't find this as funny as I did.

opps sorry for the rant!

Looby Congrats on the award! Flats might be a great option anyway since it reduces the chance of tripping and rehurting your knee.

support