Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: what to expect from scope only??  (Read 1111 times)

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
what to expect from scope only??
« on: April 17, 2005, 01:58:23 AM »
Im have a diagnostic scope in 2 weeks, and also a chondroplasy.  I've had a scope done with a LR before, which I know is a longer recovery.  So what can I expect after surgery.  Am I going to be in a lot of pain, and will I loose ROM and strength at all??

Thanks, ~Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: what to expect from scope only??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 03:46:06 AM »
Hi Patti. With my first scope it was more or less diagnostic and i was back in the gym doing everything about 4 days later. I had some swelling, but nothing major, and the pain was worst in the couple days afterwards. I had very little loss of ROM and strength, but likely because i was back in the gym so quickly. When i went back to the gym i did have a bit more swelling, but i was careful to 'listen to my knee' and i had my exercise therapist there if i ever needed a hand or had any  questions. I am not familiar with chondroplasty so i can't guess at how long that may put you out for. Everybody is different, so just take it easy and listen to what the OS has to tell you!! I wish you the best of luck!  ;D
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 03:03:41 PM »
Same for me, I had just a diagnostic scope when I was 17 years old and I was never on crutches, walked into the house when we got home... stayed home from school one day and was back at my 2 storey school building the following day. I had some puffiness and such but little pain, I took just plain tylenol, which isn't enough now on a good day. ;)  I didn't have pt or anything as it took very little to get back on my feet..took me about a week to get my full ROM, as it took this long for all the swelling to go down, but it wasn't a problem.
Goodluck, be thinking about ya
Linds ;D
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 05:19:50 PM »
Thanks Linds and Leah, Im glad to hear I won't loose much strength and ROM, I just finished a round of PT and my legs are stronger then they've been in a while, I don't want to loose that.  Im also hoping to get back to work before the end of the week (surgery is on a monday, and I can return to lighter duty), I just can afford to be off, I've used most of my vacation time already! Thanks for the info, and for the support!

~Patti
25 y/o
LR 8/5/04 (failed)

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 08:59:36 PM »
Patti,
A Chondroplasty is a bit more than just a diagnostic scope :-\ even though they only use the scope holes.  The shabby surface of the patella are shaved smooth.
I had a chondroplasty last July and found it pretty stingy on the kneecap for about 7 or 8 weeks.  I was toe touching only on crutches for the 1st week or so.  Im sorry for the news you dont really want to hear :-[
I dont know how long to get back to normal as I had a silly complication which stuffed up the rest of my recovery  :P

I had a diagnostic scope and a tiny bit of scarring removed last November and found it a walk in the park, I was back to the gym after 3 days and back swimming after 1 week.

An office job may be possible later in the week, but dont expect to be able to lift and carry too quickly.  Remember, this knee is hopefully going to last you the rest of your life, dont rush back to work if you are not up to it.  Work can always wait!

Physio will be an important part of your recovery.  Your patella may have rubbed on other surfaces to make to shabby.  The physio will strengthen the vital muscles to stop it from rubbing again.  If the cause isnt fixed then you will be back having the same procedure again.....I think......thats how I understand it anyway! :P

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on,

Heather ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 09:04:24 PM by heather k from wales »
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 05:12:30 PM »
Hi Patti,
   I have had this procedure done many times, the last time I had both knees done at the same time.  I walked out of surgery and within 2 weeks was feeling normal again.  Pain was minimal to non-existent.  Each person's recovery is different but it should be an easy rehab!  Good luck, I'm hoping for the best for you!

Patty

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 08:42:11 PM »
I've had a lot of experience with chondroplasty too.  Mine were always different.  The last one (in January) I didn't even use crutches at all and was back to work the next day.  The one a year ago, I needed the crutches for any long distance walking for about 10 days.  So?  Not sure.  You'll have to wait and see.  Just ice down a lot and be good about moving your knee around early so it doesn't get too stiff.

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 03:19:14 AM »
Thanks again everyone, i think I just need to go in to it expectation free.  I do tend to heal pretty well, and I have a very high tolerance for pain, so Im just crossing my fingers and hoping to be back on my feet fast!!

~Patti
25 y/o
LR 8/5/04 (failed)