Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chrondromalcia Patella and Soccer  (Read 1034 times)

Offline pinson059

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chrondromalcia Patella and Soccer
« on: April 16, 2005, 07:05:14 PM »
My doctor diagnosed me with crondromalcia patella in my right knee a few months back thanks to an unfortunate skiing accident.  I have played soccer ever since I was 5 (I'm 13 right now). A couple Of weeks ago, I played inn my first soccer practice of the season on my knee without a brace. That was extremly stupid on my part. 15 minutes into the practice, we started to do sprints. On my second sprint, I ran up to the line we were to touch (I was in like 4th place out of 17 girls at that point), I leaned down to touch the line, and then I turned and my knee poped out of place. I think I hurt it worse than I did in the skiing accident, because I couldnt walk for a few days. After a couple of weeks of resting my knee and refraing from playing soccer, I went to practice last night (with a brace this time). I noticed that I couldnt run as fast as I could on that first practice, it was extremly paiful for me to kick the ball, and I didn't even want to try to kick the ball harder or run faster out of fear that my knee would pop out of place again. I just wanted to ask someboady what they think I should do about this, weather it be to stop playing soccer, not play this season, to keep doing it to strengthen my knee, or anything else they may feel would help.

Thanks!

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Chrondromalcia Patella and Soccer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 01:37:06 AM »
Hey,

Sorry to hear about your knee. I used to play soccer (age 4-13) and dislocated my knee playing too. I went to an orthopedist who gave me a brace to help keep my knee from popping out of place and also went to physical therapy for several months to strengthen the muscles around my knee. After a few months I was able to go back to playing. My knee felt much stronger and felt safe and secure wearing my brace.

So, I would strongly recommend going to see the orthopedist and trying a brace and PT.
Good luck!
~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: Chrondromalcia Patella and Soccer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 04:38:35 PM »
Here are some ideas:

1) What state/ area do you live in?  People on this site might be able to give you recommendations of experienced doctors.

2) Get a few different opinions from sports med doctors with a lot of experience.  YOu are young so you don't want to a) give up activities you enjoy if possible b) you don't want to be doing damage to yourself that will give you problems when you are older; so you want to address any mechanical issues.

3) what has caused your chondromalacia?  Is it one single accident? or is it due to patellas that keep sliding out of place?

4) How is your leg strength and extension and flexion of your affected knee?  Make sure that strenght of two legs is equal or alsmost equal and make sure you keep ROM (range of motion) of both legs equals.

Good Luck<

Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel