Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New here, question about hole in my knee  (Read 1316 times)

Offline djean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here, question about hole in my knee
« on: April 16, 2005, 06:27:27 PM »
Hello,  I am new here and have a question.  I have had patella-femoral syndrome since I was 12 in my right knee I am now 38, about a year ago this June I started getting really bad knee pain.  Went to therepy and it only made it worse.  Both x-ray and MRI came back normal. Finally dr. decided to do Arthroscopic surgury that is when he found a hole in my cartilige.  He told me it looked as if I got hit in the knee with a baseball bat, he cleaned out the knee and shaved down the hole. It has been 9 weeks since my surgery and I am still not feeling good, stairs and walking hurt the more I do the worse it feels.  Dr. gave me another month out of work and told me the pain I have now is probably what I will have to deal with I started taking glucosamine and I am getting a brace.  Is this going to get better and how long is this going to take?  I think my job is gone and I don't know when I will be able to work again?  Does anyone have any advice I am getting tired of everyone without knee problems telling me I should be better by now.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: New here, question about hole in my knee
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 02:32:50 PM »
I read your post last nite and wanted to answer but was just too tired LOL. So here goes. You say that you have a hole in your cart. I am assuming that this is articular cart. Where is the hole? Just shaving the hole will not fill it in. IF it is in a non weight bearing section, that might reduce the pain by cleaning up the crabby bits BUT if it is in a weight bearing area, it will not heal on its own. Well , it wont heal on its own no matter where it is but if it is in a weight bearing spot it will continue to get worse if you use your leg. Articular cart does not have a blood supply of its own so cannot heal with surgical help. There are several choices to promote healing. Microfracture, OATS, mosaoplasty (which i cannot spell )
Please let us know where you hole is and how large the hole is. That makes a difference in what the surgeon chooses to do for it.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »
I second everything that Missy says and also want to say that I think you need to get another opinion as there are options as Missy has said for treating damage to the articular cartilage.
There are two types of cartilage in the knee joint.  Articular cartilage is the smooth (well i'ts supposed to be) white stuff that covers the ends of the bones, like on a the end of a chicken bone when you eat chicken, if you eat chicken :D.  A Mensicus which is the other type of cartilage are like little cushions that are sort of cup shaped that sit on the top of the lower leg bone (tibia) and absorb the shock from the upper leg bone (femur) . likely the damage you have is on the articular surface of the femur.
 Missy is right that there is little blood supply to this area and without further surgical intervention it cannot heal itself.
Goodluck... must be so frustrating...and as to those who tell you , you should be better by now..what do they know?  welcome to kneegeeks, people here know what you are going through.  hugs and lot's of luck
Linds ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 03:00:41 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline djean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 05:17:25 PM »
Hello, and thanks for the response I hope I am suppose to write here to answer your questions about where my hole is in my knee.  I can't get technical because my doctor never did give me many answers.  I don't know how big it was all I have is the pictures from the surgery and it looks to be about the size of a nickle on the picture itself (sorry I am so uniformed). I can discribe where it is: It is on the inner part of my right knee on the top corner, the upper thight. The knee cap is kind of a triangle this would be the top inner corner. Pain is right under that edge.  I hope this helps.  Also dr. said I didn't have to see him again if I want to go back to work or need to stay out longer just call his office in 4 week.  I don't know if I should go back to my job I was and activity assistant in a nursing home and was on my feet 5 hrs a day and have to push really large women in wheel chairs and sometimes have to help people get up out of there chairs.  Any advice would be sooo helpful to me.  Thank you so much

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 08:11:10 PM »
I agree with Missy and Linds, there are treatments for articular cartilage repair, you need a second opinion.  Find a good KNEE surgeon and go see him, he can advise you about your options.

Keep in touch, we're hear to help or when you need to talk to someone who understands.

Good Luck and Hugs.
Rozzzie  8)
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 10:06:52 PM »