Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: pain & college decision  (Read 1965 times)

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Behind the Jersey
pain & college decision
« on: April 16, 2005, 11:54:56 AM »
Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted anything on this forum. But I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some help. I'm 18 and about to graduate from high school in a couple of months. So right now I'm trying to make a college decision. It's down to University of Miami (FL) and University of Michigan, I live in Michigan. Unfortunately, my knee is really making this decision very hard for me.

I'm in a great deal of pain- 40mg of Kadian (long-lasting synthetic morphine) & 1-2 vicodin a day. I'm waiting for insurance to approve my transplant and acl revision, but he doesn't believe the pain that I'm experiencing in the back of my knee (a deep achey throb) has anything to do with that but is some kind of nerve deal. I've been waiting a whole month to get into Michigan's nuerologist who specializes in pain management and two days ago had an MRI (not a normal one, this one I guess can even see nerves?).

Here are the pros about each college relating to my knee:

University of Miami-
Small Campus
Warm Campus
Really big hospital nearby

University of Michigan-
Close to my pain doctors & therapist
Closer to my surgeon in Cinci
25 minutes from my Mom who is the only person who has ever been able to support and help me through this awful time

If I was to pick a college aside from the knee issues, I would choose Miami because I like the paper better (I'd write for it) and they have communications majors like PR (which is what I want). But with my serious problems and when I have the next surgery I'll be missing a whole semester of school (transplant w/ rehab for 5 months then acl revision and rehab).

I was wondering has anyone chosen the college because it was better for their knee, as in closer to their doctors and stuff? I'm just really confused and hurting soo much that it's making this decision really hard for me...

Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: pain & college decision
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 01:38:24 PM »
Christy-
I know I don't know exactly how you feel, but the best advice I think I can give you is to do what YOU want. Usually deep inside ourselves there is something we want to do ontop of the other one. If you want to go to Miami, then go. Do you know if any of your friends are planning on going also? I know, easier said than done but try not to let your knee take over the rest of your life. I hope that this helped a bit ;) best of luck with the choosing!
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 02:25:45 PM »
Hi,

That sounds like a tough decision!  Would it be possible for you to start out at the University of Michigan and then transfer to Miami?  The first year of college usually consists of taking core classes that don't even relate to your major.  Maybe you could get the core classes in at Michigan and then transfer to Miami to take the PR classes.  That way you could stay close to your doctors for awhile until you get your pain under better control, still have the support of your mom and get your surgery taken care of.  Considering the amount of pain that you are having, it might be helpful for you to go to Michigan for awhile.  If you went to Miami, you could get a new doctor, but if you are attached to the one that you have and plan on continuing to receive care from him/her while you are in Miami, you need to consider that if you need to see him while you are down there, that it is not going to be an easy task to just take off from classes and jump on a plane home for a doctor's appointment.   Also you want to think about whether or not your health insurance is going to cover any medical services that you might need while you are in Miami.  I know some HMO plans, such as the one I have only allows for me to recieve services within my state, unless it is an emergency and even then I would have to pay an increased rate.  The first year of college can be tough for some people depending on your personality and whether or not you are a person who would get homesick.  It is a big move from Michigan to Miami.  If you think that you will need the support of your mom, it might be nice to know that you can get to her in a hop, skip and a jump verses being miles away from her.  I'm really not trying to weigh your decision one way or another.  I just wanted to throw some things out there for you to think about.  I think Smiley is right that you need to do what you want to do!!!   If you think you are going to miss out by not going to Miami, then go!!  Your knee might make life a little bit more complicated but then again maybe not. Regardless, college is fun time and you don't want to look back and regret your decision!!  Good luck to you!!

Casey   :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 10:14:37 PM »
Christy,
First off...from an academic standpoint, if you're interested in writing...U Mich has a FANTASTIC English Department.  And you could look at the fact that you like Miami's paper better as an opportunity to make some changes to the U Mich paper.  What Casey said about transferring is absolutely true -- just about any freshman course will transfer.  Ultimately, though, you need to do what will make you happy.  If you think you'll be miserable at U Mich, then go to Miami...but look at the options for transferring, etc., and weigh the benefits of staying close to the docs you know and trust.

Just my two cents (as a teacher in a prep school).

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 04:20:02 AM »
Christy,

Like some of the others have said, it might be an option to start out at Michigan and possibly transfer to Miami later if it's what you decide. I started out at one college and transfered to another in the middle of my freshman year. I only stayed one semester at the first school and when I transfered all of my credits did as well. And it's true that freshman year you usually start out with alot of the core classes, not really anything too in depth with your major, but things that are more intro classes. The most important thing is to do what's going to make you the happiest in the long run. Before you make any decisions, think about the pros and cons with each school. You also might want to investigate the possibilities in case you need to see an OS or other doc in Miami and can't get home to see yours. Hope this helps.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline laupinto

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 06:08:15 AM »
Christy,
I am in my 2nd year of college, and was faced with this decsion.  I wanted to go to this school which was about 6 hours from me.  I was in the middle of seeing and preparing when i found out i needed surgery.  I was scared to be away from home, since my knee really hurt, and anted to be close by incase i needed someone.  I decided to stay home and go to a community college.  I am not happy there since they don't ahve my major, and am transferring out soon.  Since i am having another surgery i am still staying home, but going to a better college. You need to do some soul searching here.  I know staying home was the best thing for me.  I was able to see my Dr.'s whenever i needed to, and i always had someone to help me out when i needed it.  I think you should consider being close to home until everything is over, then transfer to Miami.  Take your core classes at Mich. so they will all be tranferrable.  This is 100% up to you, but being someone who was in your shoes 2 years ago this is my advice to you.  I am still not going to the college of my choice, but since i am going to school for something thta i love, i think i can go anywhere and really be happy.  Really look at your pros and cons, and see what is the best option for you right now.  If you feel like you made the wrong choice, you can tansfer.  I know being home helped me alot.  Good Luck, Lauren
20 years ol
May 04 PLica Removal
May 05 LR
Dec 16, 05, Fulkerson

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 05:16:07 PM »
Hi there.  A couple of comments re college choice:  1) the transfer of credits works both ways, so if you start at Miami, you can certainly transfer back to Michigan if things turn out that way 2) my main reason for posting a response--I had acl reconstruction via auto-patelar graft in November.  By January, I really just wanted to be able to stroll up and down the street at least.  Cabin fever and inactivity other than PT and daily excercises was setting in.  How often I wished from January until just recently that I had lived in a clime without snow and ice on the sidewalks and roads as I know I could have hastened flexibility in my knee, retained my overall flexibility and greatly reduced feeling of inactivity by just strolling around.  I told my OS that I would never recommend acl recon scheduled so that rehab took place in winter to someone living in the midwest.
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:51:33 AM »
thank you to everyone who responded and gave their opinion.

i forgot to add one lil important fact- the only reason i can go to miami is because they gave me a scholarship 1/3 of the tuition ($9700). as it is, i'd be 40k in the whole by the time i graduate. if i go to michigan my first year, i can't go to miami afterwards because i would no longer have the tuition.

it's just frustrating because i get excited about miami, the school, and then realize my situation and that it makes a lot more sense to be close to home (michigan is closer to my house than my high school...)

thanks for your help! and if anyone else has a comment they'd like to make, i'd appreciate it!

Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 07:53:45 PM »
Christy -

The scholarship does play a role.  Here's a couple of questions that may help.

#1 - Talk to Miami.  B/c of the medical situation and upcoming ssurgery, they may be willing to let you defer - WITH the scholarship.  Often, they will also allow you to transfer in credits as long as you are only attending classes part-time while on deferral.

#2 - Talk to your doctor(s).  Your doctor may have a colleague he really trusts in the Miami area.  It's hard to go away to school and have to find new doctors.  But if you go to someone willing to work with your existing OS, it becomes more of a partner situation, and can really help out with your medical treatment.

#3 - insurance.  Most insurance companies do cover college students when they are away from home.  But you should double check, just to be sure.

#4 - If your mom is healthy, and you really need her, she will be able to fly down to help you out.  Check out the average cost of a plane ticket from Miami to Michigan - if you can travel back and forth for a relatively low price, it may make it easier to accept a couple of visits - in either direction.

#5 - Now close your eyes, and picture your dorm room.  I'm assuming that even at Michigan you'll live on campus.  So picture the roommates, the view from the window, the activities available to you.  Like someone else said - deep down you know what you really want.  Don't ignore the medical reality, but don't let your knee pick your college.  It's a great time, and you should enjoy it to the fullest.  Oh yeah - work hard too.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline beckyc

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »
Well, since I am from Ohio, I would have to say go to Miami. But then my judgement is a little colored by a big rivalry. Seriously, it sounds like your mind has been made up, it sounds like your gut tells you to go to Miami. try a pros and cons list and if all of the pros for UofM are knee related and the cons of Miami are knee related then go for Miami. I remember when I went to college, we found out our roomates prior to the beginning of the year. Start a correspondence before hand and start to build a relationship before you go, Meet your RA, or whatever they are called now, and let them know what is going on, help is available, use it and know that at sometime in your life you will be called on to return that favor somewhere. Good Luck to you.

support