Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help!! I'm in pain!!!  (Read 950 times)

Offline keltrui

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Help!! I'm in pain!!!
« on: April 16, 2005, 03:15:51 AM »
I had an injection of cortisone and novacaine in my left knee yesterday morning, the shot in itself was extremely painful. Now that the novacaine has worn off, I feel worse than I did before! I am finding myself not even wanting to walk because it hurts sooo bad. Is this normal and the pain will will go away or am I part of the 20% that my OS told me about that has a bad reaction to the injection?                            Thanks for any responses!
                                                      Kelly

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Help!! I'm in pain!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 04:34:07 AM »
Hi Kelly, sorry you are in so much pain  :-\. I have never had a cortisone injection so i can't speak from experience, however i was going to have one and my OS changed his mind last minute. Anyway, from talking to my PT about cortisone injections, he told me that usually the day after the injection that the cortisone starts to crystalize in the joint and it causes extreme pain for a couple days. From what i know this is a normal reaction. Good luck,
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline laupinto

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 04:59:47 AM »
Kelly, It is very normal to fell intense paon after the shot.  After my first one i was using my crutches for like 3 days.  My 2nd shot i had no pian afterward, well not no pain, but nothing major.  I would say give it a few days and see how you feel.  If you are not feeling any better call your OS.
lauren
20 years ol
May 04 PLica Removal
May 05 LR
Dec 16, 05, Fulkerson

Offline keltrui

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 05:43:30 AM »
Thanks for the hope!! I don't think I'll agree to another one of these! My insurance isn't covering this shot for some reason, so there is another reason not to have  another one. Unfortunately, we have tball and softball games this weekend that I have to be at, so it's looking like I won't be resting my knee much for the next few days.  Thanks
                                                                       Kelly

Offline keltrui

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 04:03:20 PM »
Well, after several days, the pain is finally back to the PRE shot pain that I originally had.(with some occasional throbbing) So I am hoping with a few more days that it will go away too! I am so tired of living like this though!
My OS said that if it's not doing better in a month than we will do a scope. So I guess I'll just have to wait it out.
                                      Kel