Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy ...... advice please!  (Read 949 times)

Offline Gale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthroscopy ...... advice please!
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:58:36 PM »
 ???  Hi, I am new to this site and would really appreciate any advice you could give me on having an arthroscopy done.  I have a problem with my knee cap maltracking (?)....I am waiting for an arthroscopy which I hope to have done in the next couple of months.

What can I expect from the operation and the recovery?  How long should I be off work and out of action?  How soon can I exercise again? (I go swimming)

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Arthroscopy ...... advice please!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 09:27:15 PM »
The answers to many of your questions depend on the actual procedure you are having done.  You may or may not be on crutches.  You may start physical therapy immediately, but you may have a delay.  Depending on your job (desk job?  on your feet a lot?  construction work?) you may only be out a couple of days, but it may be much longer.  Actually that depends on your job and the procedure combined. 

As to swimming - generally you can submerge the knee in water after 2-3 days from an arthroscopic procedure.  But how long before you can actually swim goes back to all the other unknowns.

If you know the name of your procedure, you can probably get some very detailed responses on this board.  Either way, good luck.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Gale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:32:24 PM »
as far as I know they are going to make the knee cap fit into the groove properly (?)
I have a desk job so fairly sedentry

thanks for your comments

Offline ruhje3414

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 09:47:35 PM »
Hi,

I have had 3 arthroscopys and 3 more extensive surgeries for a mal-aligned right knee.  An arthroscopy will not be a surgery that will have you be out of work long (unlesss you are required to be on your feet for 8 hours.. a few days, probably no more than a day on  crutches.  You will have to elavate and ice for a week or so.  Once your Dr. takes the stitches out(just a few) I am sure they will get you on a rehab program to get the strenght back in your quad muslce.  Swimming will be a wonderful way to do that!

Depending on how your knee respond you will not be out of action for more than 2-3 weeks for physical activity.  Hope that helps!

Jeannine

support