Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI says one thing, OS says another  (Read 1756 times)

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
MRI says one thing, OS says another
« on: April 15, 2005, 03:17:40 PM »
My MRI showed the ruptured ACL which I knew about from OS exam. IT also showed a loose body in the suprapatellar joint effusion. It also showed a chondral flap tear of the medial patellar facet, as well as impaction fractures and tibial translation.
The thing is, my OS says the injury that would have caused the chondral tear is not cinsistent with a ruptured ACL. He is also skeptical about the floating bit in my knee(new definition of a UFO) However, I'm 4 weeks post injury and having real problems reaching even 90 degrees flexion. It feels like it's just impossible to bend, not merely painful. I'm also still on crutches and unable to bear enough weight to walk due to instability.

So, I hear of MRIs missing things, but can they show false information too. When I did the injury I thought i dislocated my knee, then it wemt back in when I manually straightened the leg. Could that not have caused the chondral tear?

xx

35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: MRI says one thing, OS says another
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 05:52:10 PM »
I would assume that dislocating your kneecap could tear part of the cart on the back of it. That makes sense. Just wanted to tell you that my MRI said a meniscus tear but when I had surgery, it turned out to be articular cart damage. MY meniscus was intact so it showed that the wrong thing was damaged in my knee. In the MRI report, there was no mention of articular cart damage at all. So I have little faith in them.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: MRI says one thing, OS says another
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 08:52:36 AM »
thanks. I can't work out whether my OS really is missing something or whether I'm just making excuses for not being able to bend it
Thanx for your reply
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05