Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: my knee locked when i was sleeping!!!  (Read 5560 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
my knee locked when i was sleeping!!!
« on: April 15, 2005, 12:47:59 PM »
Well at school yesterday, my knee locked up on my and I was squatting down to get something at the bottom shelf of y locker. This was about 1:00 pm and it unlocked at about 6:30 ish. But then this morning when I woke up, it was locked again!! Seeing as there is no other way, my knee locked in my sleep! Has anyone else had this? Its really weird and I have no idea how it could have happened...maybe I moved funny or somethig.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: my knee locked when i was sleeping!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 01:01:55 PM »
I can't tell you exactly what happened, but the subconscious does tend to protect us in our sleep.  You may have placed yourself in a *funny* position, and your knee locked to prevent you from making it worse.

Hope it unlocks soon.  If you haven't, you may want to start keeping a detailed knee diary.  It may help you convince your folks to keep searching for the right doctor sooner, instead of later.

Good luck smiley.  I hope your screen name reflects your personality - a good sense a humor and positive attitude sure make a big difference when you're life is a little less than what you imagined.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

brattkids2

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 01:03:07 PM »
I have that happen to me. I have a loose body in the joint and when it gets in the right place when I am sleeping poof I am locked up in the morning. I just have to push my knee back and forth until it moves (sometimes its painful due the the loose body popping out of the middle of the joint).

Do you know if you have floaties in your joint??

Paulette

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 02:10:28 PM »
Never knew that was why it happenned blackbeltgirl! Now I do! I always sleep funny in my sleep and wake up with my elbow locked, now I know that's why.

brattkids when i've had that happen I found pushing my leg towards my bum and holding it is better than wiggling it back and forwards. I think if its just held back the loose body just eventually moves to somewhere it isnt in the way but when you are wiggling it sometimes you can be grinding the joint against it which causes the pain. That is just all guessing btw.

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 02:33:04 PM »
That is wierd, i guess it is the body protecting itself! When i had my hip done i couldn't move it afterwards for quite a while, it was like my brain wasn't connecting with my leg!! My doctor said the body does it subconsciously as a protective mechanism when there is damage to the area so further damage is not done. The brain is a very is extremely good at trying to protect us! It's realy quite amazing!
Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 03:59:54 PM »
Blackbelt girl- Thanks! I do try to keep my chin up, I mean everything that happens to us could always be worse right?

Paulette- My OS doesn't seem to think there is anything too much wrong with my knee exept a 'kneecap problem'. So, no I don't know if there is anything floating around in my knee. In the summer however, I dislocated my kneecap and it cracked off a tiny part of my thigh bone.So perhaps that is what is floating around there still? Who knows...that was about last May and it never caused any problems before though.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I have been having alot of warm baths today and didnt go to school to try and unlock it!
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

support