Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chondromalacia??  (Read 856 times)

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Chondromalacia??
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:50:49 AM »
I had my first Physiotherapy appoinment today since my hip surgery which was three months ago, as well as strengthening my hip flexor i am working with the physio to strengthen my quads and hamstrings for some knee stability. He thinks that i may have chondromalacia because when i straighten my knee it crunches, cracks, grinds etc... However whilst i have had alot of trouble with my knee dislocating and meniscal tears etc my knee does not hurt as i straighten it and as it makes the noise?? I am confused. To have chondromalacia wouldn't it have to be painful? My surgeon did mention i have roughage under my knee cap but i thought that was pretty normal... I don't know i am a skeptic...although he only said it was a possibility i don't really think that is what it is.
Pip :)
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Chondromalacia??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 01:35:05 PM »
Pip

It is possible to have chondro and no pain, the amount of pain you have is not always a good indication of the amount of damage you have.  I have grade 4 chondro (bone on bone) and although I do have quite severe pain at time, there are times when there is very little or no pain and I have never had any increased pain caused by straightening the knee.  The chances are that if you have had trouble with dislocations I think it is pretty safe to assume that there is some cartilage damage there.  When you had your arthroscopy did the surgeon say what amount of damage they found?  Or did he just say you had "roughening"?

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
Re: Chondromalacia??
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 02:28:31 PM »
Hey Natalie, thanks for replying :) My last arthoscopy was about a year ago, but when i saw him last i mentioned that my knee still cracks and grinds and he was like yeah that is because there is a roughening on the back of it... I'm not quite sure what that would mean!! It only does the cracking and stuff when straightening. It does it on both knees as well... I had a full dislocation of the left one and eight subluxations of the right, although safe to say the left one hurt the most that's for sure!! I suppose i could have done some damage, my knees do ache sometimes, i have never really put any other reason to it though apart from the tearing of my meniscus!
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'