Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: anti-inflammatories..OTC which one ?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline mattdillon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
anti-inflammatories..OTC which one ?
« on: April 15, 2005, 02:29:20 AM »
does anyone have a particular OTC anti=inflamatory that they find really helpful ? i found " alieve" to be really no help, but "advil" quite helpful. any others recommended  for miniscus problems   

shadehawk

Re: anti-inflammatories..OTC which one ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 11:07:49 AM »
Mattdillon,

Hi, when I was taking OTC meds - the only thing that worked for me was Motrin.  Has your doctor not tried to prescribe anything else for you like a Cox-2 inhibitor?  I have just started taking Celebrex and am finding that it has been relieving alot of my knee pain.

Good luck and hope that you find something that will help.

Shade

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 01:46:11 PM »
I also have no response to naproxen - the stuff in aleve.  I respond best to ibuprofen - advil, motrin, generic, it doesn't matter.  What does matter is dose.  600MG is the lowest dose considered to be effective as an anti-inflammatory.  800MG 3x daily is considered prescription strength.

And while everyone speaks very highly of the COx-2 inhibitors, and I will be honest, I found vioxx to be more effective than ibuprofen, the studies showed a minimal difference between 800MG ibuprofen and vioxx or celebrex.  That was one of the big issues with the drugs - they found much higher risks but not much better pain relief.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 02:06:55 PM »
This is not an OTC anti-inflammatory but if ibuprofen does nothing for you same with me try being prescribed Diclofenac (Cataflam, Voltaren, Voltaren-XR apparently in the US), I have found it to be amazing stuff.