Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help - getting desparate with knee recovery.  (Read 1028 times)

Offline explodinghead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help - getting desparate with knee recovery.
« on: April 14, 2005, 06:23:46 AM »
I am new to knee injuries so I apologise if I am not 100% clear.

I injured my knee 7 months ago and since have had Physio till eventually got refered to the surgeon for an Arthoscopy. The actual problem is damage to the shiny gristle on the end of my thigh bone. The surgeon has removed a flap of gristle through to the bone and about 1 by 1.5 inches in size.

Since the op, I was getting stronger and working the muscles OK. The main problem has always been the last 10%-20% movement to straighten my leg.

2 months since the Arthoscopy everything was getting stronger but last three weeks the pain has increased and I am now considering returning to crutches. The problems started with the knee clicking more than noramal and now I cant walk propoerly, sleep etc.

I have been told that the injury may need a graft but this will be decided when I vist next June.
Please can somone advise what I should do next, I have been told to try to keep the joint working, but right now the muscles are aching up and down my leg, the knee is hurting constantly - I have not had any additional trauma to the knee but have been walking, driving etc as normal.

Do these types of injuries go like this with good and bad patches, one of my biggest worries is the muscle wastage, as soon as I stop the muscle will disapear, it has taken two months to get any muscle back. My calf and thighs are already 1.5 inches smaller than my other leg and I fing they give way quite easily (just with waliking or standing).

Thanks

Tim

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Help - getting desparate with knee recovery.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:37:38 AM »
I think you should call the surgeon and ask him what he thinks you should do, If you are in so much pain that you want to be back on crutches that doesn't seem right 7 months out from the surgery.

Goodluck HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »
Tim, did I read your post correctly? What I think that I read was that you have damage to the articular cart. of the femoral chondyle on the only thing that your surgeon did was remove it down to the bone??????????????? That cannot be the case,,, surely. Did he microfracture it or abrade it to promoter growth of fibrocart.? That cart WILL NOT heal on its own. Maybe I read it wrong. Please let me know if I am misunderstanding you.

missy

PS, damaged articular cart to the femoral chondyle can hurt BADLY
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 01:22:34 PM »
I think it might have been a meniscus injury, .... which is also at the end of the femur... which might explain the flap removal?
Maybe

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline explodinghead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:04:55 PM »
As I said, I am very good with the technicalities. As far as I am aware the damage is to the shiny (gristle) part of the bone at on the surface that moves against the cartlidge (hope this is correct). Basically when my knee is nearly straight (about 10%bent ) then I get pain especially when walking. Almost all other movement is OK - I absolutly cant sit in a chair and raise my leg straight.

I dont konw if this has made anything clearer?

I was told that there was a piece of (something) flapping around and has been removed which is why there is the pain when the stress is directly on the damage. I was told that it can repair but could take up to 1 year (just to set you straight - the surgery was 2 months ago and the injury about 8 months ago, also I am in the UK which might explain why I am not getting much attention from the hospital).

I will try to call the consultant and get a better description, I'm a typical man and did nt really listen - I just thought I would be cured (stupid I know).

Offline explodinghead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 08:14:25 PM »
I've just looked again at the anatomy pics. The damage is to the face of the femur (I assume the Condyle). I was told that if the pain did not subside then a 'bone' graft may be needed. I can only assume till I check that the surface of the femur has a flat section removed.

Just another question - I was told that non impact exercise would be good and would not do any further damage, so I have tried cycling, walking and the physio exercises. Now that the pain iseems to be getting worse what is the best thing to do:

Carry on moving the knee so at least the muscles are doing something
or
Rest and see if it all settles down?

I am so desparate to get fit again I would put up with the pain as long as I am not doing more damage.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 08:46:33 PM »
I cannot beleive that an OS even in the UK (which you guys talk badly about) would do something as crazy as only take a flap of articular cart off and not do any kind of repair work. Damage to the chondyle is articular cart damage and will not regenerate on its own. It will need, abraision or microfracture or OATS or some other treatment to create fibrecart. YOu might want to ask your OS if he did any other procedures while you were asleep. Were you on crutches? There has got to be some misunderstanding somewhere in there. Articular cart. damage CAN DEFINATELY GET WORSE WITH IMPACT ACTIVITIES. Please call your OS and find out for sure what went on. You really do not want to do more damge. I really hope that you misunderstood what was done.
good luck and keep us posted
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia