Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need some advice please!  (Read 1370 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Need some advice please!
« on: April 13, 2005, 11:36:11 PM »
Well as many of you know, what was thought to be a torn ACL showed nothing on my MRI except a complete dislocation of my kneecap. Here is my dilema: I had dislocated my kneecap about a year ago skiing, and I went to physio, tried taping, braces everything and the whole summer it never felt right, but I still played with it. In gym in October, i pivoted and hurt my knee again. Up until april. 12th everyone thought ACL but it showed nothing on my MRI and my OS said no physio for dislocated kneecap, just start jogging, swimming, etc. I tried telling him this was an old injury..perhaps I made it worse in October but it was not a new injury. I don't think he really listened or either caught on because he just nodded. The thing that upsets me though is that my kneecap is still not properly in line and after trying physio, taping etc..nothing fixed it and somehow my OS seems to think jogging will? This injury does feel different from the skiing one though, this one locks and gives out which it never did before. So anyways, the thing is I just dont see my knee getting better about this kneecap thing, after trying almost 2 years of everthig nothing worked. So i'm getting tired of waiting I actually wanna do something. Do you think I should talk to my parents about how I feel about it and go back and see the sports specilist ?(really good doc) My OS was not the most helpful and is about the hardest person in the world to talk to though. Any idea about how I should convince my parents to take me again? I have tried going on ellptical last night and today it is horrendous pain...cant straighten and barely can walk. I definetly want to do something about this, because obvuusly, jogging isnt the answer.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Need some advice please!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 03:17:29 AM »
Smiley....

I would try talking to your parents. If they won't listen, slowy try to bring it up.....maybe with them seperately. I'm not really sure how I convinced my mom to look into surgery further.....at first she was completely against and didn't seem to quite understand where I was coming from. After awhile, she realized how much pain I was in and that I was doing everything the OS and PT said, but it was not helping. I would just explain everything to them as you have on here. Explain how it's gotten worse and that you are serious about wanting to do something about it. I understand what it's like when you're parents don't understand and you feel like it's a struggle to get them to help you. Keep at it.
Hope you get everything worked out!!
~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 12:28:40 PM »
Smiley,

I agree with Erin that you should talk with your parents and try to get them to take you for a 2nd opinion.  Your OS suggesting jogging seems quite ridiculous to me, if your kneecap dislocated previously you may (?) have a maltracking problem, this should really be investigated further as if your kneecap is maltracking (and it certainly sounds as though it is with you saying its still not properly in line), you are more than likely doing damage to your articlular cartilage which can lead to arthritis.  Talk to your parents and explain the problems you're having and hopefully they will agree that you should get a 2nd opinion.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 12:44:14 PM »
Smiley196,

Hi there, I agree with the other's about talking to your parents.  I am wondering if your OS is concerned about doing surgery on you because of your age.  It would be really nice if doctors would let us in on what they truly feel about our knee problems. 
I understand your frustration - you have been trying to do all the things you should be doing to avoid surgery and are still having knee problems.  I am sure it also frustrates your parents as they see the daily pain you have and your inability to do the things you love.
I found it odd that your OS told you to start light jogging - jogging is so hard on the knees.  Have you tried a recumbent bike - I have weight-bearing knee pain and it has helped me keep my knees active without pain. 
Hope that your parents come around and decide to get a second opinion for your peace of mind - or else go back to this OS and let him know you are still having the same pain with your knees and want to know what can be done to help your situation.

Good luck,  ;)

Shade

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 01:18:47 PM »
Hey Krista, I would try talking to you Mom and Dad, if you find it hard to get across all your ideas, write them a memo..lol I know it seems really impersonal but sometimes this is a good way of getting all your thoughts and ideas out so they can try to understand... I definately think you should get a second opinion... as it would seem if your knee is that sore that starting to run would be a really dumb idea. NOT all OS's are amazing people and they can be hard to talk to and sometimes if they feel there is nothing they can do surgically... they just figure you should..get on with it... We both know sometimes that's not really an option. Wishing you lot's of luck.. in talking to your Rents and getting the help you need.
HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 09:32:52 PM »
Well today my knee locked as I was squatting down to get something at the bottom shelf of my locked. Dispite the embarassment of being wheeled to the office, I was in excruciating pain. After anbout an hour of nt being able to contact my parents, they finally got hold of my Mom who cam to pick me up. She said she thinks its best that we go back to see the sports specilist and get his opinion once again. So I suppose it was a blessing in disguise...
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 10:06:09 PM »
Smiley,

Sorry you're having even more problems.  >:(   I'm praying that you're doing better now and that your appointment with the sports speciilist is SOON.

Sending      H U G s    and     H E A L I N G     T H O U G H T S     your way.

Rozzzie 8)
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

support