Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cortisone shots  (Read 3944 times)

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Cortisone shots
« on: April 13, 2005, 07:00:08 PM »
ok so I finally got up the guts to call my OS and complain. And I am getting a cortisone shot. Umm do they hurt?? I'm really not good with shots. Can I drive and stuff after having one done?

I feared it would come to this...

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • À fin
Re: Cortisone shots
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 07:05:55 PM »
I will be having a cortisone shot in to my hand (sometime) and from what I have learnt/read/been told. They give you a local ansthetic so you dont feel it. No reason you shouldn't be able to drive. I read somewhere that sometimes after it, something can happen which makes it hurt like hell for a bit. Something to do with crystals....

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 07:12:29 PM »
I've never had cortisone in my knee but i've had the shots in my elbow where I have chronic tendonitis.  The cortisone shots really help, but they do hurt. I for one however feel that it's worth it. I found it really only hurts when you are getting it and then it's pretty okay.  You should be okay to drive, but maybe you might want to take somone with you just in case.

Goodluck hope it isnt' too bad..hopefully they give you local like Prof says, i've never had a local for it, you can request it i'm sure, hope it helps you.  :D

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 07:42:10 PM »
Generally, there is no local in the form of injection, but could be mixed with the cortisone. Usually, they spray the area with a topical anesthetic, and then as it starts to numb the skin, inject the cortisone/marcaine,Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 07:45:09 PM »
I have had cortisone shots in my ankles, knees, wrists, and shoulders and have never had one that was painful.  But everyone is differnt, some people find them very painful.  After the last cortisone shot in my knee, I drove home 250 miles.  But I had no choice as I had neglected to take someone else with me to the appointment.  :)

Patty

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 08:32:49 PM »
I've had the shot to my knee a couple of times.  My experience - it hurts going in.  Look away, ask a nurse to stay and talk to you, something to keep your mind off it.  As soon as the actual injection is done, the pain is done.  And unless you fear an allergic reaction, you should be 100% fine to drive afterwards.

When it works (and for me it always has) it's like a wonder drug.  Within 24 hours I'm pain free, and that can last anywhere from 30-90 days.

Good luck.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 10:26:59 PM »
I  had a cortizone shot into the fat pad of my knee and it definately hurt alot. Part of that couldhave been the fact that the fat pad was already very inflamed. I drove 4 1/2 hrs home afterwards because the only person that I took with me was my then 12 yr old daughter.Unfortuantely, it did not help me. I would take someone to drive me if I had to do it over again but for a short drive, I would take myself.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 10:47:11 PM »
I've had a cortisone shot as well.  It worked great for me for about 3 weeks...I was certainly hoping for a bit longer relief. My OS did 2 shots...first was a numbing agent (not sure what it was but he said they do the same thing now before they insert IV's)  That first shot stinged and burned a bit but no pain.  When he injected the cortisone I did not feel anything but some pressure.  I didnt really notice any immediate results but later that day the knee ached really bad.  It took about 2 days for the cortisone to take full effect, but boy, when it did...I felt great.  Better than the knee had felt in years.  Unfortunately it only lasted 3 weeks.  I think most people usually get a couple of months of relief.
Good luck and I hope it works for you!!! 
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline laupinto

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 12:34:18 AM »
I ahve had about 6 shots in my knee.  They never hurt, i just felt alot of pressure on the knee when he was injecting the corisone.  After my first one i was in a lot of paon.  Not right away though, about 3 hours later it really hurt.  I called my OS and he said to use one crutch for 2 days.  By day 3 i felt great.  It lasted about 8 weeks then the pain came back.  After the  first one they never worked after that.  I had 2 more then surgery.  When the swelling wouldnt go down after surgery i had another one.  The pain was still there but the swelling had gone down.  After i was "healed" but i still had pain i had 2 more.  Then i switched Dr.'s!! Be really careful with them.  I was told i cant get more then 2 a year, and some how i got 6 of them.  They rune the bone in whatever joint you are gettin them in, and if you get to many serious damage can be done.  Since i had so many they now have to monitor my bone loss.  I would definitly try it, getting one can't hurt.  The cortisone will NOT fix the problem, only mask what is really wrong.
Lauren
20 years ol
May 04 PLica Removal
May 05 LR
Dec 16, 05, Fulkerson

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 01:40:35 AM »
Hey,

I had a cortisone shot in my knee.  It hurt a little going in and I could feel it distributing itself throughout my knee. That part was not painful, it just felt weird.  I drove myself home without any problems.  Unfortunately, it  didn't do a thing for me.  Good luck.  I hope it brings you some relief.

Casey  :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 02:19:37 AM »
So basically this is just a temp. solution?

I mean once the shot wears off then what? doesn't the pain return? I was hoping to get my knees fixed before I walk down the aisle. (I think right now my fiance is ready to punch my OS)

I tend to have very bad reactions to drugs and am worried about possible reactions. But thankfully I am not going alone and I won't let them do the injection until I have every one of my questions answered.

But I wonder if it doesn't fix the problem...why not just address the problem?

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 02:29:05 AM »
My PT and I were just talking about cortisone shots last week.  He was telling me that sometimes the cortisone shots allow for the inflammation to go down which allows for healing.  Someone else might be able to shed more light on your question than me.  I just thought I would pass along what I had recently heard about it. 

Casey  :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline laupinto

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 04:33:27 AM »
Casey is right, it does allow the imflammation to go down for healing.  But really it temp. allows the inflammation to go down.  This may do the trick, and all will be good, but usually that is not the case.  Then you and your OS will discuss another option.
lauren
20 years ol
May 04 PLica Removal
May 05 LR
Dec 16, 05, Fulkerson

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 01:00:41 PM »
Daisygirl -

Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory.  Whether or not it will "fix" the problem is 100% dependent upon what the problem is.  If you have some overall inflamation, or inflamed plica without any other problems, it may fix the problem.  If you have a damaged ligament or damaged cartilage, or any of a number of other problems, it will still help reduce swelling.  Reduced swelling often leads to pain relief.  Pain relief may allow you to do more at physical therapy, strengthening your muscles and potentially reducing future pain. 

For most of us, a cortisone shot gives us a little while pain free, or at least greatly reduced.  This may help you continue exercising, take a vacation, work through the next level of PT, or put a surgery off until the calendar is more fitting.  It is rarely a long-term solution, just a good procrastination tool.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • À fin
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 04:02:01 PM »
Am I correct in saying that cortisone is a steroid ?