Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is this normal? (post ACL reconstruction)  (Read 910 times)

Offline bariotics

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is this normal? (post ACL reconstruction)
« on: April 13, 2005, 07:09:40 AM »
i had my ACL reconstruction about 2.5 mos ago.  So far i don't feel any pain & i almost gained a full range of motion.  However i have this feeling that my knee is crunching whenever i walk.  I don't know if "crunching" is the right term, but i feel that the knee is not that stable although the last time i had the doctor check it he said there's no problem.

is this feeling in the knee normal?

Offline harmer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Is this normal? (post ACL reconstruction)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 12:16:20 PM »
hi

iam 5months post op and still get clicking or crunching. Was the same as you - pain free and generally good motion range. Do you have any swelling still? I still have the clicking and swelling now. Saw my OS because it hadn't let up and he said it is possibly due to bone debris and scar tissue floating around inside the knee - this can often (apparently) ease ovcer time with the right physio or rehab - However, my OS has booked me in for an arthroscopy to clean out the mess and remove more cartilidge if necessary. So my advice would be to keep exercising (don't over do it or get ahead of yourself). 2.5 mos is not a long time after operation so i really wouldnt worry just yet - give it another month or so and if there is still no improvement go back to see your OS and tell him about it.

Good luck.

Offline bariotics

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 02:08:46 AM »
thanks harmer,

i dont think my knee is swelling anymore however i think its not yet back to its normal size.  also, i am not performing any king of leg exercises yet as the doctor advised me not to stress my knee until he approves of it.  so far, all i do is try to regain a full range of motion for my knee.

thanks again.  i will post again to inform you  guys of my progress.

Offline desiree1

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 10:26:43 PM »
Hi,

Im up to the 7.5 months since my ACL recon and my knee constantly clunks and grinds this started around the 3 month period,my OS told me to really build up the knee muscles but this has not really cured the problem also I have a small lump on the side that he thinks is cartalidge that has fliped out so im going in for a scope in june to hopefully sort these things out.
My knee is still a little swollen on top which does not seem to go...
Just another thing i've started playing tennis and squash again all be it at a slower pace and my knee has been a bit stiff understandably but my ankle also was so make sure you keep it moving and exercising it...

Chris
ACL Hamstring Graft left/15th Sep 04
Scope Medial Meniscus Trim left/15th Jun 05
Scope Medial & Lateral Meniscus Trim/04th May 06

support