Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I had my OS appt. today...FRUSTERATED!  (Read 2210 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
I had my OS appt. today...FRUSTERATED!
« on: April 12, 2005, 08:31:32 PM »
Well, I went to my OS to find out my MRI results today. Originally he said he was about 90% sure I had torn my ACL and would probably do a scope regardless of what came up on the MRI. So, today he said the only thing that showed on the MRI was that I had completely dislocated my kneecap at the time of the injury(October), and it still is not tracking properly.(noone had diagnosed this until now) However, I have had a tracking problem with my knee cap for about 2 years now, and physio,taping,braces didn't work. After that he simply said no physio, just do some biking and start playing soccer again. My Mom was quite suprised that this is all that was wrong with my knee. So she asked him is having a kneecap problem would cause locking and giving out like my knee does. He said that it would...has anyone else had this with a tilting kneecap? So yea..thats baisicly it..nothing else said.I have been told that MRI's can commonly miss torn ACL's and what not. Im so frusterated because I really could have been playing soccer all this time, and I missed tryouts for provincials so now I have no team to play for. But the thing that gets me is..I cant do it. trust me I have tried but every time I twist my knee buckles..how am I to play with that? Any advice...I feel like he missed something but Im not sure..?
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

shadehawk

Re: I had my OS appt. today...FRUSTERATED!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 08:40:09 PM »
Smiley196,

Hey, I certainly can understand your frustration.  If I were you and you still had pain trying to do anything then get another opinion.  Get copies of MRI disk and your files and find another OS.  Another opinion is certainly acceptable.

Good luck,  ;)

Shade

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 08:44:48 PM »
Shade, yea Ive thought of that one but my parents are the kind of people who belive completly every single thing the doctor says, so it'll be hard to persuade them to find a new one. But its also tough because they don't know how frusterating it is. And its also not like my OS isn't a good one...he sure wasnt today but like he's the best in the region where I live, almost everyone I know has had him and been extremly happy with him and he's been doing it for almost 38 years now so..
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 08:49:17 PM »
Oh yeah, a tilted patella can SURE make a knee give out.  Believe me...mine does it with some frequency.

You might start with quad strengthening stuff -- SLRs and presses, etc.

Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline hockeygirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:52:43 PM »
Hey Smiley

The thing is doctors are not always right.  I too was told I had a dislocated knee cap by my first OS.  Not so.  The second didn't agree, I was sent for a scope and my ACL was ruptured and cartilage was torn too.

If he's said you can play football again and you just can't physically do it your parents might think he's not right after all.

Better luck next time

Hockeygirl

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 08:55:12 PM »
Smiley196,

Hi again, it still is awful that you continue to have this pain, but your OS will probably keep tabs on you.  You can go back for follow-ups if you continue to have the same pain and maybe something will be done to help you.

Keep doing the knee strengthining exercises.

Sending hugs,  ;)

Shade

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 08:58:10 PM »
Smiley,

If you want to show your parents how very wrong OS's can be--that they are human and fallible--then have them sit for a few hours and read posts here.  I had five months of problems following my first scope and my very highly regarded doctor went through one diagnosis after another.  It was only when he went in again with the scope that he found out that NO, I wasn't making the pain up and that YES, I did have a serious problem--one that he'd missed the boat on for months!!  To believe that doctors never make mistakes, and that OPINIONS don't enter into the equation, is something that only someone without a lot of doctor interaction can believe!!  I used to believe it, too....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 09:20:10 PM »
Thank you guys so much. I dont think I have ever felt this pissed off in my life before. Like don't get me wrong, im very happy I got the news he doesnt think my ACL is torn and that I can play soccer again but like in my heart I know im not ready to play..and for me to say that its a big thing. I have played on a broken leg before..but this just isnt right. It seems like I have waited all this time for nothing.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 02:13:04 AM »
Shade,

Oh I know what you are going through..... I have apparently torn my ACL, the 4th Dr I saw told me that..... I play a lot of netball and when I ws told that I'd only torn the LCL I beleived it for awhile until the LCL healed and I still was having trouble running.  I cant say that it hurt that much, but it felt uncomfortable and unstable, so I know in my heart that I couldnt play even if I was told by Drs that I could.  And like you, that statement is big coming from me, the netball freak who hasnt stopped playing for nearly 22 years in and out of the "normal" season.

A second opinion would be a good idea.  But I understand that it can be tough convincing your parents.  Remember too that you are young.... there is plenty of time to play sport when you do get the knee issue fixed... I know it feels tough now, but there is a lot of your life left to live.

Alla

Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 03:26:35 AM »
Smiley, dislocated knee caps can cause excrutitaing pain and alot of problems! When i had a full dislocation of mine and it stayed out for a while i couldn't walk for about two months afterwards even though my knee cap was firmly back in place...even after then i walked with a bad limp. Scans and x-rays done at the time showed nothing. I am not sure how long ago your injury was??... but i sympathise...i guess the force of the knee cap pushing everything else out the way is enough to make it unbelievably uncomfortable. My dislocation was the first one for that knee as well, and the only one so far.  However, saying this i did have an arthroscopy to repair torn meniscus about a year later which i pressumed must have eventuated from the dislocating injury as i could not remember doing any damage at another time.
Hope your knee feels better soon :)
Pip
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 09:47:11 AM »
Hey Krista i'm sorry that you didn't get better news at the meeting with the OS, how frustrating...
I konw it might be hard on the second opinion thing, because you are young and your Mom and Dad are still in control of you. However you should discuss it with them. It can't hurt.
 A patella problem can cause giving way and catching... and it can be very frustrating to try and deal with it. Maybe you should inquire about getting a patellar brace?  Maybe then your knee could be supported enough that you could return to sports.
I'm sure your OS has made it seem like a Patellar problem isn't a big deal and that you should just get on with it. And you may grow out of it... but I think its best to do everything in your power to manage it, as in my experience it can be a royal pain in the but.

READ every word of what Heather M wrote, I dont' have time to read it right now, but she'd never steer you wrong.

Hang in there, we are all here if you need to chat
HUgs
LInds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 08:34:14 PM »
Hi Smiley! I can attest to what others have been saying that you can't take what the OS tells you as correct(and neither can your parents;). I have been there with my past OS, who told me that everything was all in my head, and he had my parents thinking that same thing, and it wasn't until i talked to my parents and they seen the kind of misery that i was in that they supported me in getting a different OS. My new OS is the best ever, and he takes an interest in what it is that you want to do, rather than believing that as long as you can walk that you are good(my old OS believed that walking was the only thing that mattered...forget running or taking part in sports). My OS now has found all the problems that could have been detected by my prior OS, but i guess he was just to lazy to acknowldege them or something...i don't know. But, anyway after my ramble...i would really talk to your parents and let them know about your frustrations and the pain that you are in, like was mentioned previously it can't hurt, and it may help to open their eyes and be more open to getting another opinion. Sometimes it can take a few opinions to finally get things sorted out, and you are certainly your own best advocate!! I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do, and be sure to keep us posted on how things are going.  ;D
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 08:50:18 PM »
Thank you everyone so much for your replies. My Mom said to try a few weeks on light jogging like he suggested and if nothing prevails, we ar gonna go back to my knee specilst (whos really good and I love)..so thats a step in the right direction. The only thing is..after he did the exam yesterday my knee was aching really bad and it hasnt ached so bad in a while...and today its almost unbearable I can hardly walk. Is this normal..likejust cause he was moving it in awkward posistions? Thanks so much fro all the support and kind words, you guys rock!
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

shadehawk

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 08:58:08 PM »
Smiley196,

What you are describing about the aching today after the OS appointment yesterday - well, that is what happens to me whenever an OS checks me out.  About a 1/2 hr after the appointment I can hardly walk and that lasts sometimes for four days - depending on how extensive the examination was.

Sounds good what your Mom is saying - see how it goes and then go back if you are having problems. 

Good luck,  ;)

Shade

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 10:03:47 PM »
Ok Shade, thanks. I noticed its alot more sore today than yesterday and will prolly get worse tomorrow but who knows. Im gonna try to go fro a jog with my BFF tomorrow after school, the OS said that could help.
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Plica Syndrome

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

support