Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee pain from plyometrics  (Read 2285 times)

Offline shaolin_kid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee pain from plyometrics
« on: April 12, 2005, 04:50:50 AM »
i was doing plyometrics one day outside on my street. for those that dont know plyometrics are simply explosive exercises such as sprinting, vertical leaps, etc. the followin day i having knee pain. i've had it for a week now, every time i squat down i feel it in my right knee only. and if take a wide lateral step to the right 'n bend i feel teh same pain in my right knee joints again. should i just wait it out for a few weeks or consult a physician? will swimming help? i haven't iced or heated it. if u hav ne suggetsions plz email me at:

[email protected]   

Offline Talli05

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: knee pain from plyometrics
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 05:08:45 AM »
Plyometrics makes me cringe, its really brought out the worst pain in me. The knee pain you are describing sounds like IT band to me, becuase it sounds like its more of an overuse issue, than like an incident like a blow to the knee. Where is your pain located? Your IT band inserts at the bottom of your knee to your hip. Rest, massage and ice massage pretty much cured that and lots of stretching, but for me it did take time, but it sounds like you caught it somewhat early so hopefully it will be easier to fix
                             Laura
2 surgeries dedicated to plica removal. 1 to remove scar tissue in my left knee. And another “pie crusting” of my IT Band. As of 2012 I am still not recovered.

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 02:36:59 PM »
patella tendinitis?

Here's a link to check out- http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/tendinitis.html

cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 05:48:16 PM »
Try doing the plyos on a different surface such as a track or indoors.  Plyos should never been done on concrete.  This may be all it takes to prevent the knee pain from reoccuring. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.