Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee problem/question  (Read 1010 times)

Offline SamJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee problem/question
« on: April 11, 2005, 04:12:21 AM »
I am very active in work and sports and knees are usually alright.  Recently I started jogging and after my first jog I felt soreness in my one knee.  A few days later I jogged again and I'm still feeling soreness in that knee (The other knee is fine).  

I'll try to explain where exactly where the pain is.  If you look down at your knee, the soreness runs up and down, just to the left of the kneecap.  If you straighten out your leg and slide your finger up down right beside the kneecap on the left side, thats where it is.  I can also hear a little bit of noise when I bend my leg and it feels a little different, but no pain.

Here's my question.  Should I have a doctor check this out?  Or is this just some soreness caused by the running and everything will be fine?  I Should I stop running for awhile and rest it?  Does anyone know what it is?I want to keep running but I also don't want to do any damage to my knee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Sam.  [email protected]

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee problem/question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 12:05:21 PM »
Sam

I would stop your running for now and get it checked out just to be sure you're not doing any damage.  In the meantime I would RICE (rest, ice compression, elevation) until you've been checked out.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline SamJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 05:08:44 PM »
Thank you Natalie for the advice.  :)  If I do avoid jogging until my knee feels better would it be ok to do others forms of exercise.  I was thinking of riding a stationary bike/bike.  That way its still a workout for my legs but no so hard on the knees since they don't have to support my body.  Does anyone think riding a bike would be a safer alternative?  Also the reason I'm currently running is to train for a 10k run in a month.  Would biking being be a good workout alternative to train for a run?

Thanks.  :)

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 06:48:28 PM »
Hi Sam,
   Generally the stationary bike is a good,safe alternative for those with knee problems.  A recumbent bike also puts less stress on the knees than a regular stationary bike.  Another good alternative is swimming, or jogging in the pool, aqua aerobics, you get my drift.  Hope everything works out and you can run in your 10k, especially without hurting your knee!!

Patty

Offline marzydotes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 02:41:11 PM »
I would definitely not run or do any sports for a little while.  The less stress on the knee right now is better.  See how it feels after a couple of days, resume your sports. Then if it still hurts, check w/your dr.
Good luck!

support