Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar tendon - small partial tear - 'blood injection'.  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Sam43

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar tendon - small partial tear - 'blood injection'.
« on: April 09, 2005, 02:58:46 PM »
My knee problems began in May 2004.  I began running on a treadmill for the first time (I had been a regular gym user and a regular hill walker).  The running caused pain in both knees so I stopped doing it.  When I came back from a walking trip at the beginning of June I had terrible pain in both knees and I was unable to crouch down or kneel down.  I saw a sports injury physiotherapist privately who diagnosed patello-femoral pain and advised taping the knees and an exercise plan.  The pain never completely resolved and in October I went to see my G.P. Interestingly she didn't examine my knees but she did refer me for NHS physiotherapy.  I was put on a waiting list for this.

During the waiting period I crouched down at work to pick up a crate and felt something 'happen' to my left knee.  I had terrible pain in my knee and was unable to walk properly or weight bear fully on that leg.  I saw a physiotherapist privately who initially advised me to take Ibruprofen for five days and to return so that she could examine the knee properly.  On the next two visits she treated it with 'interference' (I think that's what it's called) and advised exercises of straight leg raises.  On the third visit she said an x-ray was required to exclude the possibility of 'loose bodies'.  I went back to the G.P. to arrange this.  Again the G.P. did not examine my knee, said an x-ray was not required but grudgingly completed the request (which she filled in with the wrong, i.e. uninjured, leg!)  It took from the 8th December until 17th February to get the results (and repeated 'phone calls to the surgery and a letter of complaint!)  On the sixth visit to the private physiotherapist she recommended a visit to an orthopaedic surgeon.  The G.P.'s letter of referral was full of factual inaccuracies and stated that there had been 'no specific trauma!'  (Might have helped if she had listened to what I was saying and had examined my leg.)

The orthopaedic surgeon who I paid to see privately sent me for an MRI which showed a small partial tear to the patellar tendon.  The surgeon also thinks that there is cartilage damage.  He has referred me to someone else for a 'blood injection' to treat the patellar tendon problem.  This costs 350.  I can't really afford to pay any more (I don't have health insurance). 

My question is - Has anyone else had a 'blood injection' to treat a small partial tear of the patellar tendon?  Was it successful?  How many treatments were required?  Has any other (cheaper) form of treatment been effective?

What of the NHS physiotherapy (after four and a half months on a waiting list) - complete waste of time!  On the first visit a student physiotherapist spent 45 mins. taking a history which she then reported inaccurately to her supervisor - she didn't even get round to examining my knee.  On the second visit the same student decided that I had a 'bit of bursitis' in my knee and she taped it.  This was not checked by the supervisor and when I left the clinic I had more pain than usual.  On the third visit it was a different supervisor who seemed to have a clearer idea about what she was doing but who was reluctant to advise much as I had the orthopaedic consultation the following day.  On the fourth visit I saw the original supervisor who told me that I should 'stop worrying about my knee as this was inhibiting its recovery'.  Is it any surprise that someone would worry after four and a half month saga!  This may be a relatively trivial injury but it has a huge impact on my life...I had to stop going to the gym and going hill walking and I can't function properly at work...I am a teacher and my classroom is at the top of 65 stairs and I have to go up and down those about 8 times a day.  Also, my knee hurts all the time!  In retrospect I really wonder whether when I first hurt it I should have been on crutches to let it heal...I don't understand why this wasn't advised.  About 15 years ago I tore a ligament in my right knee skiing...the treatment was three weeks on crutches then physio. and it was all fine without a long saga.  What does anyone else think?

Offline bluearry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Patellar tendon - small partial tear - 'blood injection'.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 12:20:37 PM »
i have a partial tear in my patellar tendon i can tell you if you have had the injury more than a year you have missed your best chance of getting right,the physios on the nhs do not seem to be very specific to this injury,you would have needed treatment early on this is a very difficult problem to get rid of,i've had loads of physio two surgerys and my knee is no better,ask your surgeon about a cortisone injection it might work, dont get your hopes up though, could be worth a try

Offline injuredonthejob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patellar tendon - small partial tear - 'blood injection'.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »
I too had a partial tear of my patellar tendon, 30%.  I had to wait 8 months before sugery.  I injured my knee in dec. 08 and had sugery July 09.  It is a work comp injury.  Got laid off, had to move and find a new doctor. 
Anyways, I am 19 weeks post surgery.  I still have the same pains as I did before sugery, but now I have 2 additional issues, 1., a constant 24/7 itch and 2., I can't kneel down at all.  I have had 20 PT.  On my 10th visit, I heard a POP while doing leg lifts with 5 lbs., and since then I have had lots of pain again.

12/3/09, the doctor has ordered another MRI. 

2 more days and It will be one year since my injury.     

Offline Tayvia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patellar tendon - small partial tear
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
I too had a partial patellar tear. My PCP referred me to an Ortho, he ordered the MRI. I was coming up from a squat and my right knee had no stregnth to bring me up, causing me to then fall forward on it. This took place on Aug. 24, 2009. It was very painful and swelled up right away. I worked four weeks on it before I saw my PCP. The Ortho started conservitive treament with PT and a brace locked at 10 degrees. After eight weeks of PT, the therapist called his office and informed them that nothig was helping, she was at a loss. He then ordered a second MRI and stopped PT. The MRI showed that the tear had healed itself but that there continues to be chronic edema and marked changes to the patellar tendon with thickening.  I still can not get up and down stairs or squat. I have now been scheduled for open patellar tendon debreidment next Wed, Dec. 30, 2009. I am very scarred about post-op pain after reading some of the post here. Has anyone had this surgery and if so, is the post-op pain really bad? :(